I am a person who collects nativity scenes, especially those where baby Jesus is HELD. Having been a
La Leche League Leader and a mother who breastfed four children, I know absolutely that baby Jesus was held by his mother (and his father). Such a treasured infant was cuddled and nursed, not put aside in a straw manger, which was belatedly "invented" by St. Francis.

Whoooo is the son of God? Whoooo?
I thought I would like most nativity scenes
until I visited
Cavalcade of Bad Nativities, having been directed there by
Deb who was sent by
RevAnne. There are
three pages of them. And even in these kitschy scenes, one at least shows that a baby should be held:
5 comments:
Being part of the LLLL (no idea) is interesting enough, but to be a collector of Narivities. That is down right awesome.
Oh, and to answer you question, yes, I will keep blogging when I return.
Wyld, La Leche League is a mother-to-mother organization that helps and encourages mothers to breastfeed.
You've found some where he's held? Too cool. Any where he's being nursed? Cause let's be real--that's what you do about nonstop with a newborn, and medieval pictures got that sometimes. That was one of my Friday Five grumps about modern creches. Though she had good points, I think that along with Francis, Birgitta of Sweden's visions of the nativity also had a deleterious effect on those kneeling looking at the baby after a teleportation style painless childbirth depictions.
Lovely! I collect Nativities and will photograph them and maybe do a post about them.
The idea of baby Jesus being held resonates deeply.
Well, if you call that holding! (Looks like she's gonna drop baby Frosty on the snow!)
I have a couple of nativities, but Jesus is in the manger. I'll have to pay more attention to that. . .
Post a Comment