Monday, November 5, 2007

Hafiz: Tripping Over Joy

What is the difference
Between your experience of Existence
And that of a saint?

The saint knows
That the spiritual path
Is a sublime chess game with God

And that the Beloved
Has just made such a Fantastic Move

That the saint is now continually
Tripping over Joy
And bursting out in Laughter
And saying, "I Surrender!"

Whereas, my dear,
I am afraid you still think

You have a thousand serious moves.


Ladinsky, Daniel. I Heard God Laughing: Renderings of Hafiz. Point Richmond, CA: Paris Printing, 1996. 127.

4 comments:

Fran said...

OH MY! That is gorgeous.

And just what I needed today.

Ah the manifold gifts of Jan's blog, I can not begin to enumerate them.

Claire said...

I'm so glad I read that. I tend to "bleep" right over poems, and I'm glad I didn't in this case. What a brilliant way to think of a saint, as someone who just surrenders to God's will.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, a thousand serious moves. Getting bogged down. Why not just love?

Thank you, Jan. This is great.

Mike Farley said...

Wonderful! Thank you for this, Jan. "I surrender..." Yes, that's about it, all of it - why is is so hard?