 |
Mother Syncletica (4th century).
|
On Saturday, I am going to San Antonio to hear
Mary Earle speak on the Desert Mothers and Fathers (Abbas and Ammas), which I mentioned in
Waiting in Silence. To finish my master's degree in theology at
Oblate School of Theology, I must finish three scholarly papers. I originally did research, now forgotten, on desert mothers, specifically Syncletica and Theodora. I am hoping to be renewed in this quest at the lecture tomorrow.
 |
Eight Desert Mothers. |
5 comments:
I'd love to learn more about the desert mothers. Of course, I love both the abbas and the ammas, we just don't hear much about the mothers.
I'd love to learn more about the desert mothers, too, Jan.
Three scholarly papers--oh, do them and share them with us, OK? I'm sure they'll be great. First the desert mothers...what next?
What Katherine said! I'd pay large sums of money - well, any reasonable bookseller's price ;-) - for a paper on Syncletica and Theodora.
I love this saying of Syncletica's:
"Those who put out to sea at first sailed with a favourable wind; then the sails spread, but later the wind becomes adverse. Then the ship is tossed by the waves and is no longer controlled by the rudder. But when in a little while there is calm, and the tempest dies down, then the ship sails on again. So it is with us, when we are driven by the spirits who are against us; we hold to the cross as our sail and so we can set a safe course."
I hope the papers today, and meeting Mary Earle, are wonderful, and that you share some of the wisdom with us. The words in the picture of Amma Syncletica really spoke to my heart today--thank you.
Can't wait to hear- I bet this is really wonderful.
Post a Comment