Sunday, November 4, 2007

Monday is MJ's 18th Birthday!

http://www.cityofthornton.net/rec/images/cake.gif
Monday is MJ's 18th birthday! I just got home from a dinner for the Friday Renovare Group with spouses and made MJ's carrot cake, which she requested for her birthday. Luckily, she asked me, "You're not putting nuts in it, are you? Or raisins?" Since I always do, it came as a surprise that she didn't want them in it. I wonder if it will cook faster without a cup of pecans and a cup of raisins in it?

Even though it is 10 pm (or 11 body time), I had to get it baking, because tomorrow I am called to county jury duty. I have to be at the courthouse by 8 am, and who knows when I'll get home.

It is rather odd that I have never appeared for jury duty in my entire life. For many years I always had a child under 10 years of age, which was an exemption. When MJ reached 11 years old, I started commuting to San Antonio to school, so that was another excuse. No excuses now, so I have to go downtown to the courthouse on MJ's birthday. Hope it won't take all day. . . . .

6 comments:

Anne said...

that's not 18 candles!

Jan said...

True, but the only one I halfway liked with 18 candles looked dorky. So that just gives the birthday "idea". . . like, if I announce your birthday next year, I doubt that I'd find a cake with 26 candles on it!

Anne said...

i think you should bake a cake, put 18 candles in it, take a picture, upload that picture, and then it would be a real birthday picture. you have time to do that with jury duty, right?

Anonymous said...

"Poem for a daughter"
by Anne Stevenson

"I think I'm going to have it,"
I said, joking between pains.
The midwife rolled competent
sleeves over corpulent milky arms.
"Dear, you never have it,
we deliver it."
A judgment years proved true.
Certainly I've never had you

as you still have me, Caroline.
Why does a mother need a daughter?
Heart's needle, hostage to fortune,
freedom's end. Yet nothing's more perfect
than that bleating, razor-shaped cry
that delivers a mother to her baby.
The bloodcord snaps that held
their sphere together. The child,
tiny and alone, creates the mother.

A woman's life is her own
until it is taken away
by a first particular cry.
Then she is not alone
but part of the premises of everything there is:
a time, a tribe, a war.
When we belong to the world
we become what we are.

From "Poems 1955-2005" (Bloodaxe, 2005)

http://www.poetryarchive.org/poetryarchive/singlePoem.do?poemId=463

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to MJ!

Good Luck on jury duty.

Jennifer said...

Happy birthday, MJ!
I'm a happy monther of a happy 18 year old.
Your mom is very proud of you!