Saturday, November 24, 2007

The Asphalt Gospel (and much more)

My daughter AE emailed me about this video entitled "The Asphalt Gospel," which is the story of six progressive Christians called CrossWalk America from Phoenix walking to Washington, DC in 2006 for their cause, The Phoenix Affirmations. These affirmations are what I believe and include welcome inclusion for all people.

This has opened up all these resources I didn't expect, as all I thought I'd do is write a little information about this movie that was made about the walk across America and then post the video. Now I am finding:

Two books:
The Phoenix Affirmations: A New Vision for the Future of Christianity and Asphalt Jesus: Finding a New Christian Faith Along the Highways of America (by Eric Elnes who is a biblical scholar with a Ph.D. from Princeton Theological Seminary. He is also Senior Pastor of Scottsdale Congregational United Church of Christ in Scottsdale, Arizona).

And blogs:
Following Crosswalk America
Seeds for Thought
The Center for Progressive Christianity
The Beatitudes Society that also has resources, such as recommended BOOKS!
Faith in America
Protestants for the Common Good

And on August 26, 2007, Walking with Integrity posted "The Asphalt Gospel" movie trailer and an article about the whole process of CrossWalk America from the Phoenix East Vally Tribune. I wish I'd checked that blog on that date, but I only periodically go to that site. Maybe I'll have to visit more often from now on.

Finally, here is the video that my daughter sent, which prompted all this research on my part. (She found it at Pam's House Blend.) I hope you have time to watch the video and check out some of these sites.






4 comments:

jasmin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Fran said...

This is amazing. To anyone who has read Jan's post but not watched the video, please consider making the 5 minute investment. It is essential.

This is quite a story and you have so many links too.

God bless you Jan- this is really a gift.

QuakerDave said...

Gee, thanks a lot. MORE great links to read! Just what I needed!

;)

Jan said...

Thanks, Fran and Dave. So glad you're back, Dave!