Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Waiting in Silence

When my priest/spiritual director left for his new parish in GA, the only spiritual director he recommended was an Episcopal priest named Mary Earle. She graciously spoke with me, but said she could not take any more directees. Oddly, she wrote today's meditation "Waiting in Silence" from the weekly email sent by ExploreFaith.org: Spiritual guidance for anyone seeking a path to God. Since it is copyrighted by Mary Earle, I do not feel like I can print the entire article and hope you will go here to read it. Here is a snippet to whet your interest:

Waiting in silence, creating space for steadfast love to grow within, may be the most essential practice of all.


Thomas Merton, Trappist monk and author, remarked that life is a perpetual Advent. He sensed that in that waiting, trust began to grow. Trust in God, trust in the Holy One who is beyond all that is created and is the source of all things, seen and unseen. Trusting and waiting allow the loving-kindness that is the essence of God's own Life to grow in us, and to bear fruit that we never expected.


This is a lot like Henri Nouwen's quotes about waiting.


What is very nice for me is that I will meet Mary Earle this Saturday when I go to San Antonio to hear about the mysticism of the desert ammas and abbas. She will speak about them for a couple hours. (Since I once thought my scholarly papers would be about Syncletica and Theodora, desert mothers, I am hoping I'll be re-inspired.)


Mary Earle's personal website is here.

2 comments:

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Great minds think alike. I also posted from Explore Faith, Mary Earl, and Thomas Merton.

Fran said...

These are words to live by, but challenging too.

I will be praying for you and your spiritual director to find each other.

Mary Earle sounds interesting and I will want to hear about her talk.

And you know I love Thomas Merton!