Sunday, November 4, 2007

Be the Messenger!

Messenger

My work is loving the world.
Here are the sunflowers, there hummingbird--
equal seekers of sweetness.
Here the quickening yeast; there the blue plums.
Here the clam deep in the speckled sand.

Are my boots old? Is my coat torn?
Am I no longer young, and still not half-perfect? Let me
keep my mind on what matters,
which is my work,

which is mostly standing still and learning to be
astonished.
The phoebe, the delphinium.
The sheep in the pasture, and the pasture.
Which is mostly rejoicing, since all the ingredients are here,

which is gratitude, to be given a mind and a heart
and these body-clothes,
a mouth with which to give shouts of joy
to the moth and the wren, to the sleepy dug-up clam,
telling them all, over and over, how it is
that we live forever.


~~Mary Oliver. Thirst. Boston: Beacon Press, 2006. 1.

8 comments:

Barbara B. said...

"My work is loving the world" -- wonderful (and timely)

Diane M. Roth said...

love this one. can't wait until we have the revgal book discussion on it:)

Diane M. Roth said...

don't know why, but for some reason the poem keeps "blanking out" and in.

Unknown said...

I like it.

Mike Farley said...

Wow! You do find the best poems, Jan... thank you for this!

Fran said...

I just love Mary Oliver's work.

Amalee Issa said...

Jan, this is the most lovely poem, thank you! Amalee

Anonymous said...

Oh I love this! How I love Mary Oliver. Thank you so much.