Thursday, November 29, 2007

First Three Steps

There was a long period in my life when I attended several Al-Anon meetings each week. When I was deeply depressed, I prayed the first three steps for several years. I had forgotten about the 12 Steps until today when I was journaling. I seem to be feeling overwhelmed with many bad habits right now, such as overeating, not exercising, not drinking enough water, and blogging too much!

So I remembered another time in my life when I was feeling overwhelmed and how the 12 Steps were a foundation that I hung onto while I was journeying through much angst. The way out sometimes seemed impossible, but the PROCESS with God brought me through. It's the journey not the destination!

Today I've decided that I am going to memorize the first three steps again and pray them throughout the day. This is a way to remind myself of my dependence upon God and is something I need to do right now.

1. I admit I am powerless over my addictions (persons, places, and things) and that my life has become unmanageable.


2. I believe that a Power greater than myself can restore me to sanity.


3. I make the decision to turn my will and my life over to the care of God.


5 comments:

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Jan,

Prayers for you during this unsettled time.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you're struggling. It does help to read about others' struggles, though, because then we know we're not the only ones.

Hugs, Jan

Unknown said...

(((Jan)))

Jan said...

Friends, thank you; I'm better, but feel too much like the lady with the scale below. . . .

Catherine said...

I so admire your authenticity, Jan. Don't ever change.

Blessings,
Catherine+