
This is a picture of BJ's Brittany Spaniel puppy Troy when he visited us about a month ago when he was three months old. He is much bigger at four months--AND more active!
BJ got the puppy before he got a job; he'd been unemployed since graduating from A&M University in College Station in May. (His big brother DC went to A&M also; DC was in The Corps, but not BJ.) When BJ got hired last month, he moved to a coastal Texas town into a trailer because it had a fenced-in yard for the dog (and was also affordable).
And then BJ was sent for seven days of safety training in Louisiana, so he needed someone to take care of Troy--us! Troy will be with us until Thanksgiving (Nov. 22 this year), the next time BJ will get home.
Troy is in his "toddlerhood" and must be in the "terrible twos," as he is busy, busy, busy. Our 11 year old cocker Baillie and 4 year old shepherd mix Cisco are tired of him. Baillie is old and just growls at this whippersnapper and walks away from him. Troy continually jumps on and bites Cisco, who is very patient, even though we humans get tired of the constant growling and wrestling. Sometimes Cisco will snap at Troy, which only discourages him for a moment or two.
When the noise gets too much for us, we usher all the dogs to the door to go "outside." It has gotten so that often Troy will run out, while the other two dogs just stand by the door, waiting for it to be closed with them still in the house.
Today Troy pulled the camera case off the desk while we were in the other room. He was chewing on it, when husband CB angrily apprehended him. CB did not appreciate me telling him that we needed to "child-proof" the room for Troy, just like we'd need to do for a grandchild.
This evening Troy dug out an orange wire that was in between the deck and the house. I asked Chuck what that wire was for--and he furiously told me it was for the internet connection! None of our other dogs (and our black lab died last year) ever dug it out before! You can see Troy gets into everything.
He's having a good effect on me though, because I'm taking him for long walks.
10 comments:
I literally laughed out loud, Jan, at the picture of the older dogs waiting for Troy to get outside. Neat trick on their part!
I'm glad he's having a good effect on you--sorry it's still so damnhot (one word--which makes it not a curse word, right?). I assume it's as hot where you are as it is up here. Ugh. Anyway, I'm glad you're walking Troy even if it is hot.
"Unconditional positive regard"--hey, you've got it from me, that's for sure. I love you! I love hearing from you! And, like so many others (wow), I love your blog, your "idealism," and the way you are a Christian in this world! You go, girl!
Katherine, thank you.
What a cutie! Now you've joined me in puppy parenthood (at least for a while).
Our older dog is rather annoyed about having a puppy around, too. Puppy's too rough with him--barking and biting, when he just wants to lie down. He never growls at her or bites her back though, he's a true Christian!
Good luck and have lots of fun!
really cute puppy! brings back memories.
He's just adorable!
oooh...oooh! So cute...just love it. When we got our Ruby (the Viszla) I took her for hour long walks every day. She really need to have the energy in her sedated by exercise. It paid off to some degree by having a much calmer dog.
At least for a few minutes...
He is cute!
We'll have to compare notes. My oldest daughter and her husband are getting a new doxie puppy this coming weekend. My first grand-dog! She has the same parents as our new dog, Beatrice.
We're going to keep her during Christmas when our kids go to visit his parents in Florida.
Jan, I should just warn you that we got two standard poodle puppies in 2006, and they ate our couch.
But they grew up, and we got a new couch. This, too, shall pass!
This too shall pass.
He is such a doll.
But I have to admit, stories like yours are why the Scientist and I are so partial to adopting older dogs! :)
That is a real great looking pup, I'll tell you what. I really do wish I could play with him.
Love,
Rowan
Post a Comment