Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A book reading in Seattle

My daughter AE just sent me an email flyer about David Domke speaking at the Simpson Center for the Humanities at the University of Washington in Seattle in two weeks. I'd never heard of him before this moment, but the title of his book entices me: The God Strategy: How Religion Became a Political Weapon in AmericaScreen Reader Link for Tell a Friend
Cover Image
One review writes this:
"In The God Strategy , scholars David Domke and Kevin Coe offer a timely and dynamic study of the rise of religion in American politics, examining the public messages of political leaders over the past seventy-five years-from the 1932 election of Franklin Roosevelt to the early stages of the 2008 presidential race. They conclude that U.S. politics today is defined by a calculated, deliberate, and partisan use of faith that is unprecedented in modern politics."

I am hoping that she'll go and listen to him speak on Dec. 12 (5:30-7 pm) and will tell me about what he says. THEN, I'll decide if this is another book I must read.

And let me know if you have read it!

7 comments:

zorra said...

On a more lighthearted note: you've been tagged!

Barbara B. said...

I haven't read it... looks really interesting though!

Fran said...

It looks very interesting although I have not read it either! Keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

On another subject, but in a similar vein, I'm Johnny-come-lately to the 2006 documentary "Jesus Camp."

Here's a NYT review link: http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/342517/Jesus-Camp/overview

I don't want to overstate the case, but even with just a few Christian jihadis out there, we have much to fear from their fanaticism -- and their soul-mates in the halls of power.

Anonymous said...

Sounds very interesting! (And scary.)

Have heard of the movie ron george mentions, but haven't seen it. Fanatacism is so dangerous.

Diane M. Roth said...

I haven't read it but the name is familiar ... perhaps one of my stepsons?...

or maybe his name was listed in another book I read...maybe I'll google him...

Unknown said...

You all might be interested in this piece today in USA Today:

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2007/12/religion-as-a-p.html?loc=interstitialskip

And let me tell you -- the book is fascinating. But hey, I might be biased.