Monday, November 26, 2007

1950's style chairs

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/2501034379078080_1.jpgNot having taken any pictures of these ancient harvest gold chairs, this is the closest representation I could find on Google Images. When CB and I got married in 1971, my mother recovered two vinyl covered (in turquoise, black and white) metal chairs that we'd had since I was a little girl with harvest gold nubby fabric. These chairs have traveled around with us from WA to OR to TX to RI to NJ and back to TX. For more than the last decade they've been sitting around on the edge of the laundry room and sunroom, usually piled with stuff. The one that used to be next to me here at the computer desk had a cardboard file box of soccer files under it, which is now in the open. They've been slowly "shedding" yellowish dust as their stuffing decomposes with age.

For years I was "saving" them for the artist mother of a friend of MJ's from preschool, who always said she loved the retro look. Finally, after having Troy here and chewing on the bottom corners of one of the chairs, I decided to get rid of them.

Today it was sunny and cool, and I put the two chairs out by the sidewalk in the front. When I came home a little while ago, one was gone. That surprised me, because that was the one with the chewed off corners. And five minutes ago the doorbell rang. A woman asked if the chair was "trash"--that she wanted one for her children to use instead of her dining room chairs for playing Playstation. So she took it, and I was a little afraid she'd put it back when she saw the yellow dust descending upon her car.

The two harvest gold chairs are gone. I'm glad, but I've been thanking my mother in my heart for recovering them so long ago when we first got married and had little furniture.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Shnazzy.

Fran said...

You really have a gift Jan.

That gift is to transform the ordinary into the mystical and you do so with this post and so many others.

You honor the memory of the chairs and their place in this history of your lives.

It is beautiful. Well, maybe the chairs weren't but the story is!