
silliness
I am grateful that our family values silliness. A semi-compliment is, "You are so silly." It is not an insult.

showers
I so appreciate hot showers each morning. I say "thank you" for them, because I remember when I was in Zambia in 2006, sometimes there was no water for a shower and other times the water would be cold. I do not understand taking a shower at night, since I so love them in the mornings.
sitting with God
I call my prayer times of Christ-centered prayer "sitting with God." I am grateful that God has grown my commitment to sitting with him/her to twice a day. God grows our prayers (and us).
sons
Just as I was grateful for my daughters, so am I glad I have two sons. BJ is 24 and lives in Houston; DC is 30 and lives with his wife AA in Austin. They both drove to San Antonio for my birthday dinner on Sunday night. They are honest, hardworking, and fun. I appreciate when they call me to talk.
4 comments:
Jan ... Did you know that the word "silly" also means "blessed"? Here's a path to the roots of the word, from the Online Etymology Dictionary:
O.E. gesælig "happy" (related to sæl "happiness"), from W.Gmc. *sæligas (cf. O.N. sæll "happy," Goth. sels "good, kindhearted," O.S. salig, M.Du. salich, O.H.G. salig, Ger. selig "blessed, happy, blissful"), from PIE base *sel- "happy" (cf. Gk. hilaros "gay, cheerful," L. solari "to comfort," salvus "whole, safe"). The word's considerable sense development moved from "blessed" to "pious," to "innocent" (1200), to "harmless," to "pitiable" (c.1280), to "weak" (c.1300), to "feeble in mind, lacking in reason, foolish" (1576). Further tendency toward "stunned, dazed as by a blow" (1886) in knocked silly, etc. Silly season in journalism slang is from 1861 (August and September, when newspapers compensate for a lack of hard news by filling up with trivial stories). Silly Putty trademark claims use from July 1949.
... I remember being told constantly that I was "silly" ... It always sounded, to the ears of the child I was, like an insult. Then I found out what the word *really* means ... :-)
Jaliya, that is so wonderful! Thank you very, very much for putting all that here. Wow.
all good things (of course I particularly appreciate the 'silly'!) :)
You're welcome, dear Jan xoxo
Post a Comment