
I am not feeling creatively thankful for Q's, except for:
quiet
Probably because I am an introvert and a practitioner of contemplative prayer, I am grateful for quiet, for silence. I especially became aware of this desire for quiet when the workers were putting on our new roof for three very noisy and chaotic days a few weeks ago.
7 comments:
Well, quiet is definitely wonderful, of course.
When I made my alphabetical list on Saturday, I put "quilt" - partly because I have a new quilted bedspread that I just love. But there are other reasons as well:
My great-aunt, who lived with us for a large part of my childhood and adolescence, was a master needleworker and she made some stunning quilt tops. They represent devotion, skill, frugality and creativity to me.
Then once (during my 30s, as it happens) when I was very upset with myself about something, my mother (who called herself and atheist at that time!) reminded me that the Amish quilters always make a deliberate mistake in the pattern in acknowledgment that only God is perfect. I've never forgotten it.
So, yes. Quilts have deep meaning for me!
Questions! You can be grateful for questions.
My first thought was quilts too, but Questions is brilliant.
I'm very picky about mistakes in my knitting. I usually knit cables or lace, and they show. At least, they're glaring to me. So I pull my knitting off the stitches and unravel a day's work and re-do it, or drop a stitch on purpose and run back to the mistake and fix it. (That's better, but you can't always do it.) Just recently, I've been making one deliberate mistake in my projects, somewhere where probably I am the only person who'll notice -- and God.
Ellie, Alice, and Kate, thank you for your thoughts. You are so right about QUILTS and QUESTIONS! I've always thought I was not good at asking questions, but my continued seeking of God has been through questions. . . .Thanks for the insight!
quotes
IS, I should have thought of quotes myself. I even have a huge labeled collection on this blog. DUH.
Speaking of quiet, did you read the article on silence in the latest Newsweek? It made me think of you.
Post a Comment