Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Delighted with D's


Daughters
Not only am I a daughter, I have two daughters of my own. AE is tired of me telling the story about me crying when I told my mother my second baby was a girl, as I was so happy. I am grateful for both my daughters, plus two daughters-in-law now. They are all warm and caring people whom I like and love.

Dilly-dally
To dilly-dally is to dawdle. I picture someone pausing to look at every little or big thing one sees. Perfect times for dilly-dallying are on the beach or a walk in the woods, both of which I recall participating in this past summer in WA State. It is luxurious to dilly-dally and something to be grateful for. I have a bowl of driftwood from Moclips that remind me of those times of dilly-dallying this summer.

Dogs
As above where I mentioned cocker spaniels, I am grateful for dogs. I am definitely a dog person.

Dessert
Often the best part of a meal!

Dairy farm
My aunt and uncle owned a dairy farm in Everson, WA. I never knew this uncle because he died when I was very young. My aunt and her children kept the dairy farm going until they realized they could not financially make a go of it in the 1970's. I fondly recall visits to WA whenever my dad was transferred to a new base posting--there would be calves that I could feed with a bottle or a bucket of milk. It was amazing to find milking machines on rows of cows. I'm glad I had that experience, because there are few small (privately owned) dairy farms left.

Darkness, depression
Only because Mompriest posted the following poem today, do I include the dark places in my life. Afterwards, I am grateful for the changes that depression wrought in my life and in my family's coping systems (eventually).

"Someone I loved once gave me
a box full of darkness.

It took me years to understand
that this too, was a gift."

Mary Oliver, "The Uses of Sorrow"
in Thirst: Beacon Press 2006



4 comments:

Diane M. Roth said...

hurray for Dessert!

Terri said...

My old dog, Roxie, LOVES to dilly-dally. Her favorite way to go on a walk, of lead, and nose to the ground. Dogs, dilly-dallying...and all the others, good list of "D's"

Terri said...

that should read, off lead, not of lead

Mike Farley said...

Definitely 'D's'! But I can most definitely do without dessert...

What with the daughters, dogs and dairy farming, it's a list I can certainly relate to... like Mompriest says, good list!