Monday, October 26, 2009

I want to be thankful for PEACE


prayer
I am grateful for prayer and for my renewed commitment to sit in Christ Centered Prayer twice a day. I remember reading a long time ago in one of Roberta Bondi's books about the desert mothers/fathers that even the thought of prayer is an invitation from God to pray.

I am grateful that my concept of prayer has widened to be more about relationship with God than mostly requests to a "magician God." And Richard Rohr writes so well about this concept in his newest book The Naked Now:

"Western culture has tended to be an an extroverted culture and a 'can-do' culture. Prayer too easily became an attempt to change God and aggrandize ourselves instead of what it was meant to be--an interior practice to change the one who is praying, which will always happen if we stand calmly before this uncanny and utterly safe Presence, allowing the Divine Gaze to invade and heal our unconscious, the place where 95 percent of our motivations and reactions come from. All we can really do is return the gaze." (74)

And as you can see with labels for my blog, I have many posts on prayer and prayers.

prayers
I am always grateful for the prayers of others. Every Wednesday at our lectio divina group, someone always prays for me. In our group, after all our reflections, each of us prays for the person on our right.

pecan pie
I am grateful for a wonderful recipe for pecan pie that my children love. It's a very pretty pie, too, because the final touch is to place whole pecans in consecutive circles on the top of the pie. I like remembering that pecan pie was my father's favorite, too.

poetry
I've always liked poetry, which is probably one of the reasons I was an English major in college. I have many poems posted here on this blog.

peas
With "peas in a pod" at the top, I feel like I should add "peas," even though I don't like them much. Daughter MJ likes to eat frozen peas, just like she did when she was a toddler. I gave frozen peas to all my kids when they were young; I think she's the only one who still prefers them icy.

puns
I'm not clever about creating puns, but I appreciate them. Here's one I've always liked:

2 comments:

ROBERTA said...

jan, i've been enjoying your alphabetical journaling.....

Nancy said...

I *really* liked the quote about prayer!

Also I made a pecan pie (and a pumpkin pie) yesterday to take to school for my turn on "treat day". Next time I'll try being decorative with the pecans.