Thursday, October 15, 2009

Full of gratitude

Fifties
Turning 50 was a milestone that never bothered me, despite me feeling ancient when I was 25, a quarter of a century. Being a half-century old has not fazed me. The past decade have been some of the happiest times of my life. It is the time where I went back to school for a master's in theology at the Oblate School of Theology, which I've never finished. In this time I also went to the Upper Room's Spiritual Formation Academy and the two year Shalem Program for Spiritual Guidance. My four children have grown into adults; the two oldest have found their life partners. I am grateful for the growth I've seen in myself and in my family. In a few weeks I'll be 59, so we'll see what happens in my final year of the fifties.

Family
Obviously, I am grateful for my family.

Friends
Friends are very important in my life. I am glad so many friends from other states have stayed in contact with me and that I've met new friends through blogging. I am grateful for the friends I have here in Corpus Christi, too. As I've told my children, you can see what kind of person you are from the various friends you have.

Faith
"Faith is the confident belief or trust in the truth or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing." I am grateful that my faith in God continues to grow. Faith grows through experience. Just as I have faith in the love of my children through years of giving and receiving acts of love, so do I know that my faith is a knowing of the Holy One, especially through experiences told through my Faith Story. I believe that God grows my faith as I learn to trust more and more. There can be doubts at different times, but there is a knowing in my heart, especially when I am quietly sitting (and/or meditating).

1 comment:

Fran said...

Oh Jan, this is so lovely to read. Your gratitude is like the warm sun shining and bringing happiness with it.