Monday, October 12, 2009

Catitude Gratitude

Cat
I grew up having a dog (always a cocker spaniel) and never a cat. I did not think I was a cat person. Then MJ's first grade teacher had baby kittens, and we took one. AE wanted to call her "Psycho" and MJ chose "Pumpkin." When this orange cat died at about 5 years, we thought MJ was so devestated that we let her get another kitten, which is still with us. MJ named her a "non-cat" name--Gracie. Both cats I've called "Kitty." Oddly, this one loves me best, and I'm still not a cat person. She likes me to pet her while I am reading, but never sits on me unless I am lying down. I am glad we've had these two cats, though I would not have expected to be.

Cocker Spaniels
Growing up, I had two black cockers and one blonde one: Inky, Licorice, and Toffee. Toffee had four puppies while I was in college. Three were sold, but the one left was perpetually called "Little Girl," because my parents didn't name the puppies (but really did).

When CB and I moved into our first house in Corpus Christi, we got a blonde cocker spaniel we named Bagel. (Food names seem to flourish in our family.) Bagel was around until we had to put her to sleep in 1988 when she was both deaf and blind and whimpered wherever she lay. Then we got a beautiful dark brown cocker puppy that we named Hershey. She was very stupid. We gave her away when we moved to Rhode Island in 1991, because we did not want a dog where deer ticks flourished.

No dog in Rhode Island or New Jersey, but when we moved back to TX, we got a black Lab for BJ's 9th birthday. Our cocker Baillie arrived as a surprise from daughter AE in 1996.

Cheesecake
As mentioned in the Gratitude of B's below this, CB bakes me a cheesecake every year on my birthday. His recipe, which is in the link below, makes the best cheesecake I have ever eaten. I am grateful for CB and for the cheesecake he bakes me every year!

cookies
I like to bake and eat homemade cookies. It is wonderful to get in the mood for Christmas and start baking, though this year I may be hesitant since I am committed to following the Weight Watchers plan. I found a most wonderful recipe last year for almond shortbread. I am grateful that my mother was from a long line of bakers, which my daughters continue.

Clothesline
One really good thing about living in TX, which I also complain about, is the heat and sunshine that dry clothes on the clothesline. Ever since we have owned a house, I have had a clothesline behind each house, even in RI and NJ. Maybe because I remember my mother hanging clothes on the clothesline, who knows--I love to hang clothes outside, even when it is humid and HOT.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I thought there would be a clothesline in this post!
Lovely remembrances...

Diane M. Roth said...

clothesline! though we don't have one any more, tree knocked over in a storm...and wrecked it.