Saturday, October 17, 2009

H in tHankfulness

Harry Potter
I love the seven Harry Potter books, just as much as my children do or maybe more. The only person in our nuclear family who has not read a Harry Potter book is husband CB. I have read each one at least twice, some more. When I start reading Harry Potter, I fall into his world and am grateful.

Husband
CB and I will be married for 38 years right before Christmas. He is a kind, generous, hard-working man. He does nice little things for me, like yesterday he took my car in to be inspected to get a current state inspection sticker. Only that morning, I sat in a parking lot and gazed at another car with 9/0 on its sticker and then looked at mine and saw 9/09--uh-oh, it's not September anymore! I am proud of the way he works at Habitat for Humanity four mornings a week, which often extends into the afternoons. And I'm really grateful that he's going to the Richard Rohr conference in January with me!

Hugs
I am grateful for the hugs I receive (and give), especially from my children and husband. I did not grow up in an openly affectionate family and so when I joined CB's family, I was a little uncomfortable with all the hugging. Living in south TX and especially being involved in the Emmaus community grew me into appreciating hugs.

In the book authored by our new priest Sandy Casey-Martus, The Lessons: How to Understand Spiritual Principles, Spiritual Activities, and Rising Emotions, there is a short section on "Hugs"(107-108), which is partially quoted below:
  • Hugs should not be given as an after thought, or kind gesture. They should be thoughtful, caring, gentle, and given without a desire for compensation--(if you give a hug, you may be liked better).
  • The greatest benefit a gentle hug offers is you cannot give a hug without, at the same time, receiving one.
  • Hugs have a rescuing power. Within a gentle hug's endearing embrace is the strongest power of the One--God's love.
  • As a truth seeker, you may be constantly seeking the experience of the embrace of God. Be aware God's embrace is yours.
  • The only way in which you may experience the embrace of God on this plane, is for you to embrace another. You are the heart, arms, and hands of God. You have the ability to gently hug the God of others, as the God of yourself.
Hippopotamus postcard
I have this hippopotamus postcard that I bought in the Johannesburg Airport on the way back home from Zambia in 2006 on my refrigerator. I smile whenever I see it and am grateful I bought it way back then.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I have been away from the computer for the past few days, but have enjoyed cathcing up with your alphabet of gratitude this morning.

Terri said...

Great list of "H's" especially hugs. ((Jan))

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I reread Harry Potter too. When life feels a little overwhelming, I start reading the series during my pre-bedtime baths.