The time here is enriching and intensive. So far, we've had four lectures a day, plus peer groups with presentations. I present tomorrow to my peer group and have probably been processing it way too much with the lectures today on spiritual awareness and spiritual experience. The Shalem way of spiritual direction is to wait, listen, and ask a few questions. I probably help too much with my directees!
Yesterday Martha Campbell, Director of the Spiritual Guidance Program, gave us a copy of an email from Jerry May about SPIRITUAL MATURITY from January 2005, which I will share with you:
Jerry wrote:
I really hate the notion of "development" and "maturity." I guess I'd want to use something like "way of being" or "quality of being" or "quality of presence."
Maturity:
- involves realizing you ARE God, or a manifestation thereof. . . when the duality disappears. Keeping a dualistic notion of God and me sounds pretty immature to me.
- is knowing that I don't know. Trusting that this is OK. Relaxing into this stance so that I don't have to try to figure anything out. Living in the mystery that is God.
- is living in wonder and praise. Seeing/experiencing everything in God, "in whom I live and move and have my being." But not thinking about this, just being in the experience of it.
There is a stage/phase/experience on the path to maturity whcih looks like an increasing awareness of moments when I take back control. At those times rather than beting myself up just smiling, turning to God and with God's help letting go again. . . and again. . . and again, gently.
Well, I'm not there. . . .But I am here wishing you a Happy Valentine's Day!
9 comments:
I like this, especially:
"Relaxing into this stance so that I don't have to try to figure anything out."
Good luck tomorrow!
P.S. I gave you an award at my blog, but doing it when you are out of town was silly.
I hope you had a wonderful day today and good luck tommorrow.
I strongly disagree with his first paragraph about maturity ... I believe God is totally other ... we may grow in our ability to reflect God's love and so manifest God ... but we are not God!
Blessings on your presentation tomorrow.
Wonderful guidance and very thought provoking.
Hmmm.....
lots to think about here.
I think God is wholly other, too.
Your presentation will be awesome.
Can't wait to hear about it!
But if God is the Ground of Being (which I think God is), God wouldn't be WHOLLY other...
Just my thought.
Hope your presentation went well today. Gerald May is one of my favorite authors.
I didn't like the part about us BEING God, but I felt he tempered it by saying a "manifestation of God." Still, remember this was just an email conversation and wasn't mean to be published! (Rather like Paul's letters, which ended up being in our Holy Bible.)
I so appreciate you stopping by, esp. while I'm way off in MD!
Post a Comment