Saturday, February 16, 2008

Shalem Peer Presentation

A few days ago, I presented about one of my directees to my Shalem peer group, which is made up of four other people in the program and one staff member. I was again surprised at how God guides the whole process, and much was revealed to me about myself.

The peer group process is where the members are spiritual directing the spiritual director who presents. That is exactly what happened to me.

After all the Shalem seminars about freedom and openness, I was questioning whether I act as a spiritual director in the "right" or Shalem way. They helped me to see that with this one person, I am feeling peaceful and in connection during our time together, but later I start questioning myself. Probably I am more connected with God in the time with the directee, rather than later when I am judging myself, especially when I notice myself as labeling my actions as "right" or "wrong"--there's a red flag to pay attention!

This is so true of how I have lived. Maybe it's because I grew up in an alcoholic home, with that "elephant" in the middle of the living room that was never talked about. I grew to doubt my own views and expected to be wrong and told what was "true." This has continued through life with me thinking I'm not as good enough or right enough as someone else, even though I am a smart person. Although I am growing into myself, I still sometimes act this way when I'm unsure.

It is amazing to me to think that possibly I have been listening to God in talking with this person. There is validation in this, but also another invitation to trust myself in God and trust God. I'm in awe and so very grateful.

It's the broken feather that two past spiritual directors have told me is mine--TRUST. It fits with my history.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad for you that this was helpful.

Gannet Girl said...

Awe is the word that I find myself using again and again for the process of spiritual direction.

Katherine E. said...

Yes, trust is my issue as well. It's so difficult to let go and just flow with God's grace.

Amalee Issa said...

What a lovely post, Jan.

Amalee

Jennifer said...

Praise God from whom all blessings flow.

Jan said...

Thank you all for your encouragment. It always helps to know that you are with me in so many things, Katherine!

Rev SS said...

Wonderful. Praise God!

Barbara B. said...

sounds like a wonderful process...

Katherine E. said...

So, are you still in Maryland, Jan? How's it going?

Lauralew said...

Jan, what a wonderful post. Funny how self trust is so hard for those of us who have struggled with any kind of abuse issues.

I hate the idea of having to step outside of myself to watch if I'm right or wrong. You pegged that issue. Thank you for that!

Blessings!

Episcopollyanna said...

What a wonderful post. Very beautiful. I often have a hard time letting go and letting God guide me, but whenever I do it's always good. God bless.

Anonymous said...

I have always doubted myself, too. It takes a long time to heal that, when it comes from childhood.

Trust is so big. God is taking you there!

Fran said...

Jan- like Gannet Girl says, awe comes to mind. What an experience.

I am praying for you!