Friday, February 8, 2008

Another Book Meme

This one comes from the Psalmist via Red Heeler Ranch. This is one that--depending on circumstances--could be either edifying, bewildering, or just plain silly.

Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more. (No cheating!)

Well, the closest pile of books, with the one on top is one I bought for going to the Shalem Residential term: Entering Teresa of Avila's Interior Castle by Gillian T. W. Ahlgren.

Find Page 123.

Find the first 5 sentences.
(The author quotes Teresa of Avila and describes her as lamenting the human tendency to ignore the divine within. You will see below how the author writes LONG sentences.)

Post the next 3 sentences.
"Without denying that Teresa play a significant (and intentional) role in the Catholic Counter-Reformation and that a Catholic interpretive system guided her understanding of human life, the fact that she identified the interior depths of the human person as the primary sphere of human-divine intimate creativity suggests that her insights contribute to a deeper sense of what it is to be human, not merely what it means to be Christian or Catholic. Thus, although Teresa clearly felt that Christian theology offered the best framework for her to understand and express the human-divine relationship, it is not clear that her theological system, as explicitly Christian as it is, is unable to enter a larger interreligious dialogue about the nature of the self, especially the self and the self-beyond-self as points of entry into human-divine relationality or ultimate reality.

"This leads to the corollary to Teresa's major premise, that understanding the self is a theological project requiring some forms of theological language."


Tag 5 people.
I tag Garlic/Salt, Fran, Jiff, Garten, and The Crimson Rambler.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wow. I feel like I just took a tour of Theresa's interior castle, in just three sentences.
Praying for you as you journey with T of A.

Brendan said...

'Why have they taken it away?'

'It has been taken down, child, because Mr. Brownlow said, that as it seemed to worry you, perhaps it might prevent your getting well, you know,' rejoined the old lady.

'Oh, no, indeed.'

Fran said...

I am on it!

And wow, yours is GREAT.

Fran said...

I have completed my assignment!

Anonymous said...

What an interesting quote you ended up with, Jan!

I'll do this at Wyrdbyrd.

Girl Who Cried Epiphany said...

Dear Jan,
I finally made it over to your site after having seen your comments on Gartenfische's page for a long time. I just had to share with you the fact that I think there is an intense Teresa of Avila convergence in the world right now (or at least in my Sunday morning blog reading - the oddities of modern life when sitting at the sunny dining room table with my laptop reading others' spiritual musings becomes my church). I have Caroline Myss's Entering the Castle, her book based on St. Teresa's vision, as well as Teresa's collected works at my elbow right now.

I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Oh, and I just recommended The End of Mr. Y to a friend; I read it last year. What did you think of it?