Saturday, February 9, 2008

Focus on what God has given you

My Episcopal church made available Seeking to Serve: A Lenten Exploration of the Millennium Development Goals. It is published by Episcopal Relief and Development. The meditations are written and illustrated by the Rev. Jay Sidebotham, Rector of Chuch of the Holy Spirit in Lake Forest, Illinois.

Here is the meditation for Saturday, Feb. 9:

O give thanks to the Lord, call on his name. Make known his deeds among the peoples. (Psalm 105:1)

"Lent, a season of self-examination, need not be devoid of joy. Nowhere in the invitation to this holy season is there a call to be more 'miserable than thou.' Take some time today, the beginning of the season, to focus on what God has given you. Let gratitude shape your attitude as you embark on this journey for the coming weeks. Make a list of the things for which you are grateful. As you consider the ways you have been on the receiving end of God's grace, you may discover a new openness to giving to those in need."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was taught, by someone in a 12 Step program, that the only way I could recover in my life was to develop an attitude of gratitude, and that gratitude is something I can practise when I don't feel it. For example, making lists of things I'm grateful for -- 10 things a day, and nothing I've listed in the past three days counts.

Also, "There is a gift from God in every single thing that happens to you. It's your job to find it. Sometimes, it takes longer than others."

This has all be true. Thanks for the post -- I've subscribed to the Micah project's prayer, and sent the link to a friend.

Anonymous said...

Oh how lovely! And what a great reminder---to be grateful, not to be melancholy.