Friday, February 8, 2008

Mystics

The image “http://www.uh.edu/~englmi/i/xulSolar/Mystics.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

"Mystics" (1924) by Xul Solar

"These are miniature structures that claim to signify the universe. As in Borges' stories, limitation and limitlessness vie for our attention. Xul's world is everywhere and nowhere; it is the symbol of the universe on a miniature plane." (by Lois Parkinson Zamora of the University of Houston)

Xul Solar was the adopted name of Oscar Agustín Alejandro Schulz Solari (1887-1963 ), Argentine painter, sculptor, writer and inventor of imaginary languages.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I look forward to going to the Shalem Residential time in MD next week, I am wondering which mystic I should do my final study on. Just as I have a strength known as "Input" (or gatherer) and have been stumped with what to choose for my master's scholarly papers, so I am in a similar position in choosing the mystic to study. I like each one I read about! I just have to narrow the search and CHOOSE--but that's hard for me!

3 comments:

Fran said...

Sending prayers to the Holy Spirit to inspire to lead to reveal...

Sorry I have not been around much. Life is crazy! But always good.

Episcopollyanna said...

Beautiful painting. I don't envy you having to make that choice - best of luck.

Anonymous said...

Do you have a few you've narrowed your choice to? I would be interested to know who you choose!

Yes, beautiful art!