Friday, February 22, 2008

Night Driving in the Fog

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/84/80/23278084.jpg

In a surprising turn of events, I drove from San Antonio to Corpus Christi last night, with the last hour in deep fog in the dark. That certainly brought prayer to my mind, as I kept asking God for help as I varied between 45-60 mph, depending upon how much I could see. I was so glad to get to the street lights of Corpus Christi!

My travel day started off very happily when I was put on the earlier flight from Baltimore to Dallas. I was smiling as I looked at the monitor and saw that my later flight was being delayed by 1 1/2 hours. So this looked good!

However, when I got to DFW Airport, I barely missed the 4:40 pm flight to Corpus Christi. That was disappointing until I looked at the overhead monitor and saw that it had been cancelled. So it looked like I had four hours to spend wandering the airport terminals. I read quite a bit of the novel I bought at a bookstore at the Baltimore Airport (and self-indulgently paid full price for): Suite Francaise by Iree Nemirovsky, which is excellent. But even a reader like me can only read so much. Then I paid $5 for 20 minutes at a kiosk computer terminal, which didn't work very well, as you can see by one comment I wrote on the MD --> TX today! post. Talking to daughter AE was fun, and eventually I looked at the monitor again, only to be horrified by the 9:25 flight to Corpus Christi being cancelled!
http://current.newsweek.com/budgettravel/monitor%20flights.jpg


I hurriedly went to a counter, where the ticket agent tapped away on her computer and asked if I'd like to go to Laredo?? But then I was offered stand-by on a flight to San Antonio that was leaving in 30 minutes, so I raced to the sky rail between terminals to get there and wait--AND they called my name! YAY!

So dear husband CB reserved me a rental car (that doesn't have cruise control), which I drove home last night. It was wonderful to come home, even if it was this morning.

This afternoon we'll drive to San Antonio again, both of us driving cars. MJ has a soccer game there, and I will return the rental car at the airport before we go to her game.

Now I'm just waiting to find out where my suitcase is!

11 comments:

Jennifer said...

Whew.
Blessings that you are home.

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

What an experience...and the last hour in fog...in a rental car...TGIF for sure.

Fran said...

What an adventure! It reminds me of my travel days, which I did for years on end.

Adventure in this case does not necessarily mean fun or good...

But you made it and with such good spirits.

Crimson Rambler said...

So glad you're home safe. From this vantage point I'm sure we never think of TX as having FOG...

Ruby said...

Welcome home.

Jody Harrington said...

So glad you made it home safely despite the fog.

I loved Suite Francaise. It's a great book.

emmapeelDallas said...

I'm glad that you made it home safely! Beautiful pic of the fog, too! I love the fog, but not to drive in it, of course...

Judi

dust bunny said...

Quite an adventure! Glad you're home.
And I loved Suite Francaise.

Katherine Doerge said...

Glad you made it home...next time you get stuck in Dallas, give me a call...would love to meet you face to face : )

Anonymous said...

Glad you're home safe. :)

I read Suite Francaise---it is an excellent book.

Easter Almuena said...

What a wonderful post, Jan!!! You also gave a chuckle. :-) Hope you were able to retrieve your suitcase.

Gotta find that book... :-)