Monday, April 21, 2008

junk, junk, junk

[messy_closet_.jpg]
MJ has spent the evening cleaning out old clothes from her chest of drawers.

I have so much to clean out that I feel defeated before I even get started. I have clothes that fit me 13 years ago when I was 50 pounds thinner and as I grew fatter over the ensuing years until now. I have been stuck for years about cleaning out and getting rid of these old clothes. Look at what I wrote three months ago:

For a long time, I have been feeling stuck in many areas of my life: prayer, weight, papers, closets! The list could go on and on. . . .

With the realization that I'm stuck, Sunday's quotation from Simone Weil returned to me many times with the thought that "every separation is a link" to God. My link is my resistance, which I am now offering to God.

I certainly need to remember that "every separation is a link" to God. And oddly, I just wrote a letter to the Episcopal priest who baptized and confirmed me in high school and then married CB and me in college. Having returned to the Episcopal Church, I wanted to share with him how the seeds he'd helped to plant have grown. My faith story shows that the separation away from the Episcopal Church no longer exists and that I am linked through it to God.

MJ acts today, while I only ponder. I have felt dissatisfied in my dithering today; am offering this to God. . . awareness, acceptance, ACTION!

This reminds me of Trevor Hudson writing that experience (or revelation) without reflection amounts to nothing. Mere "awareness" counts as nothing, too.

~~~~~~
And I was just helped by a gorgeous picture of pussy willows and a story of hope at Cheesehead's blog.

11 comments:

Anne said...

MJ is going to have to go to college and needs to get rid of her stuff, anyway. You, on the other hand, do not have to go to college and are rather excessively concerned with the things you should do rather than the things you want to do.

Unknown said...

That sounds about right.

Barbara B. said...

I can relate... I have so much de-junking to do around my house!

Sally said...

hmm, that sounds like a familiar story...

Lori said...

One foot of closet rod a day. That's do-able.

I keep trying to remind myself that 5 pages a day will add up to my novel. Still can't kick start it.

Ennui sucks.

Terri said...

Oh gosh. I just purged and moved across country and then purged some more...mostly clothes that I resigned myself to never wearing again...so. I get it...it's hard.

But, you've gained weight? that picture of you with diane, you look just perfect...

Jan said...

Thanks for all the encouragement. A little bit a day would produce a lot more cleaning of closets than I've been doing. . . .And I'm not that fat, but heavier than I'd like to be.

Annie's Mom said...

I think that I've needed to come to terms with the fact that I will never be FINISHED cleaning/ de-cluttering/ sorting/ reaming etc. It seems easier when I don't think so much about trying to finish projects, but instead, I give myself half an hour and just work for that time and then walk away. As soon as the burden of completion is gone, it all seems less pressing!

Unknown said...

We just did my daughter's closet and dresser, four bags full of things for Goodwill or the trash. Amazing!

Anonymous said...

I'm always impressed by people who actually go in and clean out their closets on a regular basis. Me, I just keep on muddling through life, leaving the closets to fend for themselves. (My windows are dirty, too.)

It's okay to be imperfect. (Spoken by a recovering perfectionist!)

Kate Morningstar said...

I moved a year ago, from a large apartment I lived in with my husband and adult son, to a bedroom with shared kitchen and bath, which, thanks to all that's good, I don't have to share. Nevertheless ...

I am 52 years old and own three chairs, an 8'x10' rug, some dishes and books and clothes. I lost weight last year, so I also have a lot of clothes that don't fit. And despite not owning anything, my life and room feel cluttered.

So tomorrow, I'm washing clothes that don't fit, and bagging them up for Goodwill. I'm hoping, among other things, that this "shaking the tree" will cause something to happen, and that making room in my room for new clothes will cause some to appear. Ones that fit.

Thanks for the post, and for the Simone Weil.