Thursday, April 3, 2008

"Friends of Silence" by Nan Merrill

Nan Merrill is the author of a favorite book of mine, Psalms for Praying, among others. Nan Merrill has published a modest newsletter, "Friends of Silence," for many years as a labor of love. At the top of each monthly mailing is this: "Is there enough Silence for the Word to be heard?" (T. S. Eliot) In its pages, she explores silence, solitude, and community with the universe, grand themes but in a gentle and modest tone.

In the March 2008 newsletter, Nan Merrill wrote, as a prelude to the variety of quotations she collected for this issue:

"May our prayers include pauses of simple be-ing. . . of gratitude in the Silence for the present moment of live, nature's gifts, and Love-ever-with-us. Throughout each day may we be mindful of our thoughts, for strong thought--positive or negative--are, in a real sense our prayers. As has been wisely observed, 'as we thinketh, so we become.' Thoughts, like prayer, radiate energy that matters, depending on our focus, intensity, intention, and accompanying source of reception. May our prayers be from the heart, breathed into the Silence. . . May our thoughts be loving, gentle, and kind. . . May both our prayers and thoughts lead us to fulfillment; service and sharing wherever we meet a need. . . May our gifts and creativity grow in the Silence."
~~
Nan Merrill

The "Friends of Silence" newsletter is published eleven times a year and is free. Donations are gratefully accepted. To subscribe, go here.

And to learn more about how this newsletter ministry began, along with an invitation to join in quiet prayer together, go here.

4 comments:

Terri said...

Ok...I subscribed....I am in the midst of a bad cold...first I've had in a long while...in fact it's been 17 months since I was last sick (and then I was really sick, that 11 day hospital thing)...so, I guess I really shouldn't complain...

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! (I love Psalms for Praying, too.)

Rev SS said...

Love this quote .. and marvel at all the publications you keep up with! How many hours do you have in your day anyway?

Jan said...

Serena, this was something I've overlooked mentioning for years. I've received this little newsletter for over 10 years, and it is just a small surprise that comes into my life monthly. Suddenly, yesterday, while looking at it, I realized that perhaps others don't even know about it.