Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Prayer via Google

It is so funny what comes up with a Google search. I wanted to get the quotes from Anthony Bloom's book Beginning to Pray without having to find the page by looking through the book. Here's what I found:

Being with God is the end itself, not the means to any other end. A good example of this is from the late Russian Orthodox archbishop Anthony Bloom who tells of an eighteenth-century priest who once asked an aged peasant what he was doing during the hours he spent sitting in the chapel. The old man replied, "I look at Him, He looks at me, and we are happy." [Anthony Bloom, Beginning to Pray (New York: Paulist Press 1970), 62.]

And this was found on a wonderful site about "Prayers" at Ministries with Youth (Presbyterian Church U.S.A.) There are descriptions of and instructions about Contemplative Prayer, the Jesus Prayer, Breath Prayer, Centering Prayer, and Praying with Music that inform and inspire any age level! I am so impressed! Go and look here.

Another site that I discovered had suggestions about prayer by Graham Kings, from a Fulcrum Newsletter, March 2006, about "Listening in Lent."

He wrote:

In the Anglican Kenyan Service of Morning Prayer there is a moving prayer, based around Psalm 16:11, which may be used after a period of silence:

Your silence is full, irresistible;
your presence is joy unspeakable.
People drifting into mind
we lift to you and pray they find
health in sickness,
life in deadness,
strength in weakness,
light in darkness.
Their loss you bear, mysteriously;
Your peace you share, eternally.

~Anglican Church of Kenya, Our Modern Services (Nairobi: Uzima Press, 2002), p15

8 comments:

Suzy said...

Oooh, I like that last one very much. It is very Quakerly!

I know a children's prayer, which I often pray to myself:

Make my life a little light within the world to glow. A little flame to burn bright, wherever I may go.

Fran said...

That prayer is so amazing!

Thank you.

And I love Suzy's prayer too!!

Jan said...

Fran and Suzy, thanks for stopping by! I like your little prayer, too, Suzy. I didn't know the Kenyan prayer was Quakerly, but I like that.

Katherine Doerge said...

"Beginning to Pray" by Anthony Bloom was my favorite book when I attended The Anglican School of Theology (before it went defunct). I think I would enjoy re-reading it. Thanks for the reminder.

And yes, it is amazing what comes up in a Google search.

Kate Morningstar said...

I'm having trouble with the link to pcusa.org, but I'll try again in the morning. I really like the Kenyan prayer too.

Kate Morningstar said...

The link worked for me this morning -- very helpful stuff there. Thanks for finding it for us!

Jan said...

Kathy, I'm so glad we share a love for Anthony Bloom!

And Kate, I'm glad the link worked. I got worried with your first comment, but it worked for me today, too.

Kate Morningstar said...

I'm so glad it worked, Jan -- I found some of the prayer descriptions very helpful. Not that I hadn't done those things before, but it helps to stand in a new spot to look at the same landscape sometimes.