Tuesday, April 8, 2008

What recession?

What is expressed really depends upon the group one is in. Husband CB and I went to a monthly dinner on Sunday night, which is made up of about seven men who used to work at the same chemical company and their spouses. Oddly, most are 10-20 years older than us. As we sat around the living room, the men started talking about how the liberals and media are deluding the American public about the economy's downturn. Obviously, this is a predominantly Republican group. Partly the denial of a recession is based upon being in a part of Texas that has remained pretty steady economically and where there has not been a decline in building or house prices. Since I am so often a "vague liberal," I did not say anything.

Today's cartoon from the Center for American Progress illustrates part of their attitude:

Today's Cartoon

Go over to FranIAm to read about the cost of the War. Also follow her links and read those posts and articles.

Also, go to Misplaced Economic Priorities at Campaign for America's Future.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That was nice of you. I don't see it here either.

Anonymous said...

You want to see recession? Come to Michigan. It's down right (pardon the pun) depressing. So many people laid off, out of work, so many houses for sale, so many foreclosures--it's touching everyone here.

Fran said...

Jan- I am late to this comment thread, but thank you for the linkage.

It is very hard to speak up in the kind of situation that you were in.

With due respect to Wyld, I am sorry- to not see the situation is hard for me to believe.

In our rather prosperous suburb, several local restaurants have closed recently. I have gone out to both dinner and lunch and places that were formerly crowded... not so much any more.

Lots of houses for sale and more signs going up, so all the inventory will impact that.

And the gas prices. 3.40ish for regular. I have a 10 gallon gas tank, so it now routinely costs over $30 for me to fill up and I get 30 mpg. It is scary and sad.

My friend is a school nurse at one of the middle schools here. She has noticed an uptick in kids who no longer have health coverage. We are talking about mostly white, mostly middle to upper middle class kids- which is also scary to me.

I do not like gloom and doom, but we are kind of screwed if you ask me.