Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Shalom

Photo of old hand holding young hand
"If there is to be shalom, it will not be just for isolated, insulated individuals; it is rather, security and prosperity granted to a whole community--young and old, rich and poor, powerful and dependent. Always we are all in it together. Together we stand before God's blessing and together we receive the gift of life, if we receive it at all. Shalom comes only to the inclusive, embracing community that excludes none."

Walter Brueggemann. Peace. St. Louis: Chalice Press, 2001. 15.


5 comments:

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

"WB" is one of my alltime favorites.

Amalee Issa said...

Well said, and here is April's blog --> http://saltforthespirit.blogspot.com/index.html

Diane M. Roth said...

I think I will need to copy this one.

Fran said...

Walter is great! And what a wonderful post to start the day with.

Thank you and shalom!

Rev SS said...

Amen ... WB is awesome ... and I love this quote.