/by Jim Wallis/
Here's Jim Wallis' book order for the course he's teaching at Harvard Divinity School this fall. If you’re looking for some late-summer reading, consider the following titles:
H. Richard Niebuhr, Christ and Culture
John Howard Yoder, The Politics of Jesus
E.J. Dionne Jr., One Electorate Under God?
Richard Land, The Divided States of America? What Liberals AND Conservatives are missing in the God-and-country shouting match!
Reza Aslan, No god but God: The Origins, Evolution, and Future of Islam
Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, Failing America's Faithful: How Today's Churches Are Mixing God with Politics and Losing Their Way
Donald Dayton, Discovering an Evangelical Heritage
Randall Balmer, Thy Kingdom Come: How the Religious Right Distorts the Faith and Threatens America
David Kuo, Tempting Faith: An Inside Story of Political Seduction
Michael Gerson, Heroic Conservatism: Why Republicans Need to Embrace America's Ideals (And Why They Deserve to Fail If They Don't)
Ronald Thiemann, Religion in Public Life: A Dilemma For Democracy
Michael Kazin, A Godly Hero: The Life of William Jennings Bryan
8 comments:
Oh my. I so remember buying all these books for school, grad-school in particular and wondering how in the world I could ever read THAT much in the alotted time...not to mention, his course is just one of several these students will take.
Yes. I imagine all the books are excellent. But really. How much can one read and still do anything else in life? (and I read a lot)...(ok, I blog a lot too)....
There is some GOOD STUFF in this list!
Just what I need... more books to covet...
What a cool list!
I wish I were back in school!!
What an amazing list!
Mygosh, how long would it take me to get through all of those...
Would especially like to read the Reza Aslan book.
I am sorely tempted to order these books, but I have too many unread books in my piles. I've read Yoder's book and liked it, of course. I guess the one that I'm learning towards right now is Susannah Heschel's selections of her father's works.
Ummm...enroll me in that class!
It's an awfully white list, and rather male too. Not that they aren't good books, they are, but if you are going to talk about religion in public life in the U.S. you really need to have perspectives from African Americans and Latino/as, and to be teaching at HDS and hardly bring in the perspectives of women is odd. (I was an M.Div. student there 30 years ago when we were all working hard to change some of those old patterns.) Jim Wallis ought to know better. Good list, yes, very fine books and authors, but some real gaps. Think "Who's not in this picture? Whose voices are not here? How will the choices of books affect the content and method and tone of the discussion on religion and public life?"
Jane, how about suggesting some for the list and I'll add them onto that post? Thanks.
Post a Comment