Tuesday, August 21, 2007

My Priest/Spiritual Director is leaving

I am sad. Many others are grieving, too. Our priest at All Saints Episcopal Church is leaving after being here for the past 15 years. We had thought he would retire and stay here. No one can argue against a discerned call. Fr. David Stringer and his wife believe he is called to go to St. Patrick's Episcopal Church in Atlanta, GA. So at the end of September they will be gone.

I am deeply hurting because David has been my spiritual director for the past ten years. In fact, I met with him for the last time today, only 30 minutes after hearing of his coming departure from a friend. I'm glad I heard about it ahead of time. I do not cry easily; I cried in his office. Tears also came in our closing prayer.

David has helped me grow so much, especially in learning to trust. I started out scared and shrinking, beginning to meet with him about the time I had that graced experience on Easter Faith Story 8--Further Depression. I did not trust men or God, and he helped me learn to receive concern--and to live through my heart and not only my head, which is still a struggle for me. In this period of spiritual direction with him, I have been a Lay Director for a Walk to Emmaus, attended the Two Year Spiritual Formation Academy (where I met Katherine E.), gone to seminary (Oblate School of Theology), investigated ordained ministry, begun the Shalem Program for Spiritual Guidance, and I've spent a month in Zambia! None of that could have been imagined ten years ago, which needs to remind me that the future is full of promise.

Still, I'm stuck on me--How do I find someone to guide me? To direct me to God and also to provocative books?

Corpus Christi has few spiritual directors; not many people know that spiritual direction is an activity to help facilitate spiritual growth. David could not recommend anyone to me here. He told me to pray for one. I did ask for a recommendation in San Antonio, and he gave me the name of someone to consult.

I feel lost, but it's not all about me. Plus, I am not losing God. . . .Help me remember your faithfulness, O Lord.

10 comments:

Rev SS said...

I am SO SORRY Jan. I'm praying for God to lead you to just the right next Spiritual Director, and I know God will do just that. Meantime, praying for your hurting heart, too.

Gannet Girl said...

I am so so sorry. You probably know that my director has just moved away. I have known about it for a year and most of the tears came earlier this summer, but it is still a terribly hard loss.

Gannet Girl said...

PS: There is a Jesuit high school in Houston. How far away is that? (I looked at a map but Texas is SO HUGE.)

Jan said...

Thank you, Serena and Gannet Girl, for understanding. GG, Houston is a long way away--four hours! I will probably try in San Antonio, which is 2+ hours away.

Gannet Girl said...

Our Lady of Guadalupe in San Antonio is a Jesuit parish.

Sorry - my "fixing things" instinct always goes into high gear when things cannot be fixed.

Jennifer said...

Oh, Jan, this is sad.
In time, you'll find another person who will be part fo this next chapter of your journey.
In the meantime, I know that it's difficult to lose a trusted mentor and friend.

Cecilia said...

I grieve this loss with you and for you Jan. But I think you already know (as you wrote at the end of your entry) that God is still with you, God will not abandon you. And perhaps one of the things your spiritual companion has taught you is that you can trust yourself on this journey.

If you are hoping to find another spiritual companion, I would contact orders of Roman Catholic nuns in the area. Some of the best spiritual directors in my area are sisters.

Peace, and breathe in the comfort of the Spirit.

Pax, C.

June Butler said...

Jan, I am sorry. I will pray that God shows you the way.

I like to fix things for people, too, even though that is not always possible, but taking Cecilia's advice to look to the RC nuns may be an excellent idea. You might find someone right there in Corpus Christi.

God's peace.

Jan said...

Cecilia, Jiff, and Grandmere Mimi, thank you for support and suggestions. God will provide somewhere for me.

Unknown said...

(((Jan)))
You've received many good suggestions already, and I feel sure one will bear fruit.