I also like this about prayer from Walter Brueggemann, which I used in a sermon. Brueggemann is specifically talking about prayers of lament. This is taken from "Rachel's Cry":Prayer of Lament and Rebirth of Hope by Kathleen D. Billman (Author), Daniel L. Migliore (Author]
Prayer is radical for us and for God. And prayers of lament are at the core of who we are as humans and who God is as God. Walter Bruggemann, noted Old Testament scholar says that "prayers of lament redistribute the power relationship between God and petitioner so that the petitioner is taken seriously and God who is addressed is newly engaged in the crisis in a way that puts God at risk". That is a sweeping thought…God is in the struggle with us. God is in the lament. God is working. God is grieving. God experiences righteous anger. God has not left us. In this process do not become less human…we become more fully human as we work with God and become God’s partner in the realization of God’s peace for the world.
Thank you all for your comments. PS, I got interested in the book "Rachel's Cry" but was schocked that it can only be bought as a used book, the lowest price being $67! Maybe someday I'll find it in a library somewhere.
6 comments:
I like Wink's writings alot.
I also like this about prayer from Walter Brueggemann, which I used in a sermon. Brueggemann is specifically talking about prayers of lament. This is taken from "Rachel's Cry":Prayer of Lament and Rebirth of Hope
by Kathleen D. Billman (Author), Daniel L. Migliore (Author]
Prayer is radical for us and for God. And prayers of lament are at the core of who we are as humans and who God is as God. Walter Bruggemann, noted Old Testament scholar says that "prayers of lament redistribute the power relationship between God and petitioner so that the petitioner is taken seriously and God who is addressed is newly engaged in the crisis in a way that puts God at risk". That is a sweeping thought…God is in the struggle with us. God is in the lament. God is working. God is grieving. God experiences righteous anger. God has not left us. In this process do not become less human…we become more fully human as we work with God and become God’s partner in the realization of God’s peace for the world.
Thanks for this quote.
Greeat quotes,all.
Thanks for getting us thinking, Jan!
I really liked Wink's book "The Powers that Be" -- thought-provoking stuff!
I, like Barbara B., like Wink's book, "The Powers that Be"
Thank you all for your comments. PS, I got interested in the book "Rachel's Cry" but was schocked that it can only be bought as a used book, the lowest price being $67! Maybe someday I'll find it in a library somewhere.
I also like Walter Wink's books about the Powers.
Post a Comment