Thursday, June 3, 2010

Storm Damage

There was a severe thunderstorm here last night around midnight, with high winds 75-80 mph (which are hurricane force winds). The dogs were very frightened and our power went off briefly.

This morning we discovered that a large portion of a tree next door fell onto our fence. When CB and the dogs went outside this morning, Cisco and Maisie soon found the hole in the fence and were off! When I woke up, I found Chuck trying to clear off the driveway and cart the debris away. Later, he and our neighbor put up four new boards to patch the hole in the fence.


Throughout the day we lost our internet connection, but we have been fortunate to keep our electrical power, especially for the air conditioner to continue pumping cooler air into our house. Sadly, portions of our area are still without power, including Trudy's mother's house down the block from us.

In our backyard there is still a large limb leaning down over the powerline leading from our house to the pole. CB says the line has too much voltage for him to attempt to cut the branches. Eventually, the power company will take care of it. I hope it doesn't fall before that is possible.

7 comments:

Terri said...

wow - I hear AZ has been having strong winds too...and they are predicting storms and bad wind here for tonight...sigh. I really do hope that branch stays put until they can remove it - and that everyone gets their power back.

Anonymous said...

I hope the winds have died down and that the branch can be removed soon. Assume Chuck caught the dogs! Looks like that branch may have caught the edge of your gutter too. High winds are very frightening to me -- glad you are OK. We have had rain, rain, rain and more rain -- no high winds though! Love m

The Bug said...

Yikes! Hope they take care of the tree soon - I hate things that are precarious like that.

Mary Beth said...

O my goodness! How scary. We had some winds but it was all blow and no show...thank goodness.

Cathy said...

I hope Cisco and Maisie came back!!

altar ego said...

We had quite the blow Wednesday night as well--only dead tree limbettes came down at our place, but at the church we lost a Bradford Pear. As did half the homes between us and the church! Wicked weather, to be sure.

Our daughter and family are in CC this week. I'll send them a quick email about the chicken barbecue!

Anonymous said...

The weather has been stronger than usual everywhere. The winds are scary esp up here in the NW with all the cedar trees and evergreens. Today is a beautiful day. Hope the weather is nice next weekend for CT's graduation.
Love,
jt