Mompriest brings us this energetic Friday Five for RevGalBlogPals:
For this Friday Five let's ponder the various ways we work out (or not), physically, spiritually, and/or psychologically.
1. Do you work out physically, spiritually, or psychologically? (I'll let you define what that might mean to you)
The only time I physically worked out were the years I walked 6-12 miles each day when I was struggling with depression and anxiety. That's the only way I managed. That is also the thinnest I have ever been, but I could not enjoy it.
Unfortunately, that excessive image is what I seem to think exercise "should" be, so I do not. I know I need to exercise more, especially since I am trying to lose weight. The only committed physical exercise I do is walking with different friends, three times a week! Tai Chi is a weekly commitment, but I keep being gone on weekends lately, and the class meets on Saturdays.
Personally, I am more inclined to work at spiritual and psychological development/growth. I think they go together, as I learned in all my years of therapy and participation in Al-Anon.
2. Are you more inclined to join a gym, or a book club?
For the past year, I have thought of joining an athletic club, but past history reinforces my denial of this thought. The one I had thought of going to is across town, but I'm tempted by its large swimming pool. I am not ready to commit to that though.
I would rather be in a book club. In fact, I facilitate one that meets weekly--The Wisdom Class. That goes along with spiritual working out, with out interesting discussions. Currently we are reading together Into the Silent Land by Martin Laird.
3. Are you more inclined to read self-help books like Gail Sheehy's "Passages" or spiritual books like Richard Rohr or Theresa of Avila? And if so, what is your favorite?
In years past, I read more self-help books, though some still grab me. Spiritual books are my love. I do like Richard Rohr's books; with his (and others) I find new books through the footnotes and bibliographies.
4. Are you a loyal fan of a sports team? Or do you join the bandwagon when the local team is winning? And, if so, which one?
No
5. Or do you lean more toward having a favorite theologian/Spiritual writer or self help author and if so, who? And, why.
I go through phases of certain writers, usually returning to them. The first one that helped me was Richard Foster with his classic Celebration of Discipline; that was the source that brought me to so many theologians and books to read and follow. The single author of the largest number of books in my shelves is Thomas Merton. Lately, I have been reading books by Cynthia Bourgeault, Richard Rohr, Ken Wilber, and Karen Armstrong. I want to go back to those written by Beatrice Bruteau.

1 comment:
Ok, you're the second person to mention Ken Wilbur...just as soon as I have a job I'm getting some of his books! If we lived near each other we could walk our dogs and talk, exercise would be fun, then, I think! But mostly I think you do plenty of exercise just keeping up this blog! (which I love)
Post a Comment