Friday, June 18, 2010

Friday Five: Running LATE!

I'm late, I'm late, I'm late for a very important date!

As I opened up my computer this morning, I directly went to my blog and RevGals to see what the newest Friday Five would be! Nothing was here, which seemed odd. Then I went to look at the calendar and counted the Fridays, and it is the THIRD Friday! How did that happen so quickly? It's my turn, so here's a quickie:

1. Do you tend to be a late person or one who is timely, arriving on time or earlier?
I am more likely to be a timely or early person. Living in slower South TX culture for more than 25 years has sometimes caused me to show up a few minutes late, but that does not happen too often. Having a Marine for a father had me learn the importance of timeliness when I was growing up.

2. Have you forgotten anything of importance lately?
First off, I forgot about this being the third Friday of the month!

I slept through a walking date with a friend last month, which now means I do not forget on Thursday mornings to show up at the mall at 7 am. That was a good teaching moment!

Over the years, I have forgotten a lunch date because I have not written it on the calendar--OR haven't looked at the calendar!

3. Is procrastination your inclination? Why or why not?
Yes, I admit that I tend to procrastinate. As I am continuing to put off those looming papers, I think it is due to my "all or nothing" outlook--for perfection. I am trying to learn that writing is a process with expected inadequacies; I would learn more quickly if I wrote every day (and not just on my blog!).

4. Do you like schedules or spontaneity? Which works best for you?
I'm in the middle here. Being an introvert, I function better with schedules, especially for meetings. I have some extrovert friends who espouse spontaneity, but they arrive late and talk excessively. That is not what I think of "spontaneity." A middle ground works better for all concerned.

5. How do you stay on track with the various things you need to, people you must meet, etc., etc.?
Keep my calendar up to date! Lately, I need to write myself notes, too.

One practice that keeps me on task is recording friends' and family's birthdays on the calendar so that I can send them birthday cards. When I was a teenager in Japan, I started writing those dates on the new calendar on January 1st. I still do this every year.

4 comments:

Mary Beth said...

I hear you about "all or nothing"

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

My immediate response was exactly what Mary Beth said.

Terri said...

me too....I like balance....and consideration...

angela said...

I think you're right, there's a definite middle ground.

I keep my family and friends' birthdays on the calendar and then forget until afterwards to send cards. Guilt.