Monday, June 14, 2010

My Confession

I put off phoning people. I like people to call me, but somehow the act of phoning someone is a leap I do not often want to take. The image above shows how I seem to view the act of calling people, even friends--It's like a long walk out in the heat and humidity where I need the correct change. I make it into a daunting task when it is not.

Today an old friend called me up, which I greatly appreciated. It has been months since we talked, and my guilt for not calling or visiting kept mounting to bury me under a cloud of apathy. I called her back and we shared the exciting news of me becoming a grandmother and her only child newly engaged on her birthday. A baby and a wedding may be happening around the same time!

By my sin of omission (NOT calling), I lost contact with this friend and hurt her feelings. I am sorry; apologies do not count unless they prompt changes in behavior (my behavior). I've lost contact with other friends through this avoidance of the telephone. Today I am grateful that this friend called me; I will try to reciprocate.

Could it be a spiritual discipline to call one a friend each day? That might be too extreme to begin with. Any suggestions for my rehabilitation?

3 comments:

Joan Calvin said...

I'm with you. I hate calling someone. It's my introversion (at least that's my excuse). I like your discipline of calling a friend every day. I have a friend I need to call. She's moved, so I have to get her number.

Jan said...

Joan, thanks for being with me in this aversion-introversion thing. I don't know why I turn it into such a big deal.

The Bug said...

The only person I will call regularly is my dad - & I think that's because he expects my call & we don't usually keep each other too long (except this past Sunday - we were both Chatty Cathys!). I have multiple reasons for not calling:

1. Laziness - just can't be bothered.
2. What if I call at an inconvenient time?
3. These people talk FOREVER! I don't have time for that.

Sigh. I like your idea of making a call each day - although for me it would be once per week (I don't actually have that many people to call). I could make it a task in Outlook so that it pops up on the computer & reminds me to call!