Friday, January 14, 2011

Friday Five: Why to Get Up

Singing Owl brings this wonderful cartoon and the following Friday Five for RevGalBlogPals:

Where I am it is dark, and it is cold, and it is snowing. I really wanted to stay in bed with the electric blanket cranked this morning. Share five things that made getting out of bed worthwhile for you today!

Even here in south Texas, it is cold. The cold seems worse for us (though it isn't) because we are not used to it. For the past few days the high temperature has stayed in the 40s F. It seemed especially cold while I was in a little dwelling at Lebh Shomea on my retreat, so I really can identify with wanting to stay in the warm bed, with lots of blankets!

Today I left my bed because:
1. It is nice to be home again; I felt like I was sleeping late until 7 am, because at Lebh Shomea they have a contemplative mass at 7 am.

2. Our weekly Renovare Group meets every Friday morning at my house at 8 am. This group, minus some members and added ones, has met weekly since about 1995.

3. Like Terri, I like to see what the Friday Five will be. This is especially true because I had a week with no access to a computer. (There seemed to be A LOT of time at Lebh Shomea.)

It was funny that Singing Owl pre-posted the FF to appear at 5 PM instead of 5 AM, so it was not apparent for awhile. Whenever a FF is late like this, I have a panicky feeling that it might have been MY turn to do it! Then I have to ask myself if this is the third Friday of the month, which is much easier this year because I have a calendar hanging above the computer. (It is one I bought in Alaska this past summer and features the amusing art of Barbara Lavallee.)

4. I was glad to read the morning newspaper, especially with its two pages of comics.

5. Reading the newspaper, I discovered that the film "The King's Speech" has finally reached Corpus Christi; I was not sure the movie would ever be shown here. Maybe we'll see it this afternoon!

P.S. I do not drink coffee, but I still love that cat's attitude!

7 comments:

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

cheers to you! i would panic if i had a friday 8am company at my place very week... i suppose you get in the routine. 8am? i'm not outta bed usually...

Mary Beth said...

OOH, I'm dying to see that movie.

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

I think your retreat sounds lovely.

Maybe the King's Speech will be at the theatre on my next get-away day.

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

I haven't heard of that movie, so now I'm going to go look it up and see what its about. I LOL at your feeling when the FF is late. BOY can I totally relate.

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

We loved loved loved that movie! Hope you enjoy it whenever you see it. And how amazing to keep your small group together for so long--what a gift.

Nancy said...

Welcome back from your retreat.

I really enjoyed the King's Speech. Looking back at it, it's amazing how engrossing it was when so little actually appeared to happen.

altar ego said...

I am late getting to ff's--my Friday didn't go exactly as planned and I was away from the computer nearly all day! Anyway, glad you're home, and like you and Terri, I also look forward to seeing what the Friday Five will be. And I panic when it's not posted early because I don't want to miss participating, and at the same time I don't want to go and post something else.

The King's Speech is finally at a theater near us, so we are going tonight!