Saturday, January 1, 2011

Jan. Friends: Best

Since the topic for January at nablopomo.com (National Blog Posting Month) is "Friends," I decided to sign up and participate. This means that for every day in January I am to blog about friends, which may be a little tricky if I spend a week on retreat where I will have no access to computers. I'll just have to plan ahead!

Growing up as an only child and also a military brat who moved every few years, friends have always been very important to me. Tossed into the above mix, I was/am an introvert. That is probably why I had a best friend throughout elementary school and junior high.

The last time I had a best friend was when my children were young. Lisa and I met at a La Leche League meeting when we were pregnant with our first children way back in 1979. We grew into motherhood together and both became La Leche League Leaders. She and I will always be friends, but probably never in daily connection as we were for the first 15 years (1/2 his lifetime) of DC's life. Lisa teaches special ed at a nearby elementary school, so we try to meet once a month for dinner.

She is the closest person in Corpus Christi to my children and me and is more like an "aunt" to them. Of course, she came over to see them all and to meet Avery on December 23. (I also dearly love her three children.)

Lisa and Avery

No comments: