Saturday, January 8, 2011

Jan. Friends: Walking

I have two regular walking friends, whom I have walked with for over a decade. I will not be walking with them this weekend because I am at Lebh Shomea. (I just pre-posted some messages about friends so I could fulfill my commitment to nablopomo.com.)

My Saturday morning walking friend is Debbie, who is a biology high school teacher. This commitment has kept our friendship growing through 12+ years because we rarely miss a Saturday walk. We meet in the mall and walk for about an hour, which is one of the few times I am ever at the shopping center. We share about our lives, family and God as we walk; she guides me, especially about prayer.

The other walking friend is Katherine, who walks with me on Sunday nights. She generously meets me at my house every week and we walk around my neighborhood. We are both introverts, but talk almost constantly as we walk. Katherine is dealing with her elderly mother with Alzheimers and shares honestly about the joys and struggles this involves. I hope one (or more) of my children will regard me as Katherine sees her mother--as a person living as fully as she can, and NOT someone with lots of SYMPTOMS to be treated!

We all share our backgrounds of 12-step wisdom, as well as desires to grow in God in our daily lives.

No comments: