It's a new world!I am suddenly newly aware of all the technology that is changing the world (or my world).
Our nephew and his wife announced their decision to break up on Facebook: changing their status designations from "married" to "single." I guess that is the same as someone announcing an engagement or the beginning of labor in having a baby on FB. (I am showing my age.)
By blogging, I am participating in this new way of communication, too. I sometimes think of blogging posts as "notes" I would have written to friends and family. So in shorter and faster ways, communicating via FB or tweeting is the same.
The demise of the written word is occurring, as I have lamented about letter-writing. Others worry about the end of printed books: Tonight my friend Nancy told me that she can sync her Kindle with her i-phone Kindle app and read on her i-phone when her Kindle is left behind.
I will appreciate this technology when MJ is in Spain for the next four months. We will stay in touch through e-mails, Skype calls, FB, and her blog about Spain.
But I will still write her handwritten letters once in a while.
Our nephew and his wife announced their decision to break up on Facebook: changing their status designations from "married" to "single." I guess that is the same as someone announcing an engagement or the beginning of labor in having a baby on FB. (I am showing my age.)
By blogging, I am participating in this new way of communication, too. I sometimes think of blogging posts as "notes" I would have written to friends and family. So in shorter and faster ways, communicating via FB or tweeting is the same.
The demise of the written word is occurring, as I have lamented about letter-writing. Others worry about the end of printed books: Tonight my friend Nancy told me that she can sync her Kindle with her i-phone Kindle app and read on her i-phone when her Kindle is left behind.
I will appreciate this technology when MJ is in Spain for the next four months. We will stay in touch through e-mails, Skype calls, FB, and her blog about Spain.
But I will still write her handwritten letters once in a while.
3 comments:
Hey Jan, Michelle and I have new posts up on Into the Silent Land, if you're interested. Hers is on my blog today; see tab at the top of my page to get to mine.
I used to be really good about writing letters. I don't know why it's so hard to do anymore--maybe because I type faster than I write, I'm able to keep up with my thoughts via a keyboard. And then there's the matter of reading handwriting.
I heard on the news last night that some schools will no longer be teaching cursive writing. I think I officially put myself in the "old fogy" department with my wailing lament over that. Sigh. Now I get it about former generations not "catching up" with the times!
I was thinking about this very topic as I wrote a meditation for the worship at the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women, which I will be attending the end of February. The theme for this year is technology and its impact, for better or worse, on the lives of women and girls.
I look forward to hearing about MJ's time in Spain.
Post a Comment