Saturday, January 29, 2011

Techno-Travails

I experienced the joy of seeing my grandbaby Avery with Skype yesterday, but I/we continue to encounter difficulties in getting SOUND.

Before MJ left for Spain, she installed Skype on both our computers so that she could see/talk with CB and me while she is gone. On Thursday morning she delighted us by calling: It was wonderful to see her and hear her voice! Using the webcam she and her sister gave their dad for Christmas, we got it to relay the video of CB and me, BUT we never were able to turn on the microphone.

Here is a plea for help: How do you turn off the "muted" microphone? On the computer screen, we see a red picture of a microphone with a slash through it. No matter how we click on it, we cannot UN-mute it. So far we have not discovered how to do this with searches on the internet either.

Finally today I remembered the earphones with microphone that MJ's older sister AE gave me when she went to Korea. Maybe that will work if and when MJ and I connect again. The 7-hour difference and our activities make it difficult to be on the computer at the same time.

However, she just called, and the headphones work!! We'll talk in a little while. Yay!

2 comments:

Terri said...

I have three ways of fiddling with the sound on my computer: one is a "button" above the keyboard that I have to push. I also have a dial that controls the sound. And I have another source on the bottom right of my screen that when I click on it opens up a window with the sound control. And, in skype you have to click on the "video" connection....if that helps - although it sounds like you have figured something out with the headphones - so that's good too!

Robin said...

Yay!

We never once got Skype to work during The Lovely Daughter's semester in Prague.