Friday, February 19, 2010

Friday Five: Lent

1. Did you celebrate Mardi Gras/Shrove Tuesday this year? Any memories of memorable celebrations past?
This is the first year in a long time that I did not go to the Pancake Supper at our church. CB was teaching at the community college, and I just stayed home. Not many memories about Shrove Tuesday for me.

2. How about Ash Wednesday, past and/or present?
This Ash Wednesday was the eight year anniversary of my dad's death. Somehow, this anniversary had me paying attention to love within suffering and death, which is also the Paschal Mystery.

I went to two Ash Wednesday services this year. One was at noon at the Methodist Church, which followed the weekly Lectio Divina group. My husband joined me there, our old church. I was lacking in presence there, which may be connected to the lack of liturgy and few personal connections. CB said we were like "fish out of water" there, and that describes how I felt, which is hard to admit. Were our hearts closed off?

In contrast, the evening Ash Wednesday service at All Saints Episcopal Church, without CB who was teaching, was holy, solemn, and reverent. Kneeling in confession moved me greatly. It was easier for me to surrender to the Holy in that atmosphere.

3. Does your denomination or congregation celebrate "this joyful season"? Any special emphases or practices to share?
Yes, with renewed emphasis on prayer, fasting, and alms giving from the Gospel reading. I loved our priest strongly speaking about the need to pray daily, whether in words or not. I'm glad she continues to emphasize this aspect of life.

4. Do you have a personal plan of give-ups, take-ons, special ministries, and/or a special focus for your own spiritual growth between now and Easter?
I want to continue to sit in silence with God twice a day, which is a commitment I renew every single day. I am trying to intentionally read several Lenten devotions and write about them. I plan/intend to post every day during Lent about our spiritual journeys.

5. What is your dream for the image of Christ coming to perfection in you, the church, the world? How can we support you in prayer?
Hoping and praying for renewal of love and connection with God for myself and all people, especially those who do not know of this possibility. Connection with God grows us into more whole, authentic and caring people not concerned with ME, ME, ME. Realizing that I am a part of all is the gift I hope for.

Bonus: Song, prayer, picture, etc. that sums up your feelings about this liturgical springtime.

Breakthrough

This lenting
is a longing, looking,
isolating and locating process,
a passing of the time between
what has to be, what may become,
a late, last, solitary lingering
among the soiled and crusted snowbanks
of deep-drifted hurt and disappointment
seeking out those tender-tough new shoots
that pierce the calloused surface
of all losing with the agony
of life becoming green again.

by J. Barrie Shepherd.


3 comments:

Sally said...

Thank you for this thoughtful play, and for the poem!

angela said...

I was thinking about the contrast with non-liturgical churches too. It is clear that there are some layers of meaning to what happens when we observe a rather traditional year. I hope they'll look back and maybe add that as a new way to enrich their worship?!

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

Lovely play, Jan. Still praying for your writing process.