Soon after that, CB ordered me some pieces from E-Bay, but when they arrived, two bowls were broken. Here is one the photos I took as proof to send the seller:
You can see that one was broken into three pieces. After a few days, I glued it back together. This bowl sits on the kitchen counter; I put my used tea bags in it. I always re-use each bag, because I do not like strong tea. I feel a lot of pleasure when I look at that bowl, seeing the butterfly and bird.How many things I do not do because I/they will not be perfect. Over the years, I seldom invited people over to my house, because it was not perfect. How perfection closes us off from use--and from others.
This reminds me of the story of the shattered vase that God reassembles using gold as the mortar between the fragments. The vase is more beautiful with all its cracks than when it was unbroken or "perfect".
God desires me to be used in relation to others, not closed off, isolated. The invitation is go out NOW, mindless of mistakes, just keep going--Not to be afraid to show my lack of perfection, but remembering always that God loves me in my brokenness, right now. (This is something I must live in to with my paper for my degree.)
Further emphasis comes from Richard Rohr's Daily Meditation from February 12:
"In the process of transformation ('conversion' if you prefer), as we learn to face the contradictions that we ourselves are, we become living icons of both/and. We find the hidden wholeness of God underlying our weaknesses. Once we can accept mercy, it is almost natural to hand it on to others. (See the story of the unforgiving debtor in Matthew 18:23-35.) We always become conduits of what we ourselves have received."
5 comments:
Jan...this resonates with me on so many levels.
Wow...this says Master's thesis all over it.
Jan you seem to be my spiritual guru this Lent. Given our mishaps this winter, I'm in danger of withdrawing as a broken shell. You show me that there is a better way. Thank you, I shall meditate upon your wisdom.
Beautiful - you can imagine how clearly this speaks to me!
As Barbara pointed out in a comment on my own post the other day, Leonard Cohen has a line for this:
"There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in."
I love this meditation, Jan. It's so beautiful and so true.
Post a Comment