KK went to a workshop where a woman talked about a practice she observed for three years--saving every $5 bill she received. At the end of the three years, she saved $12,000! Whenever she got a $5 bill in change or found it in her wallet, she would put it aside and not spend it. If she received three $5 bills, she'd save all three. When she reached $50 or $100, she would put the money into a separate savings account. This seems like a really good idea!
KK and I talked about wanting to walk more regularly for exercise. She said she realized after a long day at work, where she stayed at her desk all day, that if she walked every 5 minutes out of an hour, she could accumulate almost an hour of walking!This goes back to the old axiom of "a penny saved is a penny earned." We dismiss that so often these days, because a penny doesn't amount to much these days. Consistently saving or doing something, even for small periods, adds up.

Just now, when I was talking to husband CB about this, he reminded me of an old story from his childhood. In the 1950's, his dad was a telephone repairman with four children; they had a hard time making ends meet, but managed. One year his dad saved all his dimes in a big jar. At the end of the year, the family spent only that money for a ferry ride from Bellingham, WA to Vancouver Island. CB fondly remembers what fun they had. That was one of the few vacations they had back then.
And Cynthia added this comment:
"During my last year in seminary, I was given the advice that during the last 100 days of school that I should save a dollar a day, then on graduation I would have $100 to spend on whatever to celebrate. Each day I would put a dollar bill into an empty coffee can. I can't remember what I spent it on but it was a wonderful discipline and gift to myself."
8 comments:
During my last year in seminary, I was given the advice that during the last 100 days of school that I should save a dollar a day, then on graduation I would have $100 to spend on whatever to celebrate. Each day I would put a dollar bill into an empty coffee can. I can't remember what I spent it on but it was a wonderful discipline and gift to myself.
Cynthia, what a wonderful idea! I'm going to share this with my children.
Great idea Jan. Most people might not be able to save five dollar bills, but most people could afford to save quarters at least! I'm a big fan of tackling big problems with a teaspoon and working away over time. Housework works like that for me. 45 min to an hour, and in a week, I have a clean house! Thanks for a good reminder on how to get more out of life!
It is so funny that you mention this great story.
Years ago, I would randomly save $1, $5 and every so often $10 bills. I would just tuck them away and pay no mind to them.
Then a time would come where I had no money and I would go look and I'd find $300 or whatever and have what I needed. It would just work out that once I took it and used it, I would save again and there would be money when I needed it.
Recently I started to do this again. It began with me getting a piggy bank when I opened a bank account; I have a ton of money in there now, it is SO heavy. Then I thought about my random $1, $5 and some $10 bills and I have been doing that.
This encourages me to do the same and I love the idea of looking at walking or exercising by breaking it down.
I like doing the little bit at a time approach as well. Often, when I need to get back into the discipline of exercising, I'll reward myself with a penny a minute or a dollar per session. Sort of combining your two topics for the day.
Wow, cool post!!!
One of our children had a policy of only ever spending notes (this in a country where $1 and $2 are coins). So she would take her $5 pocketmoney and buy some candy at the store - receiving coins as change which went straight into the piggy-bank. At years end she had the biggest holiday spending stash of teh whole family.
My goodness, this is good, Jan.
I'm going to pass it on.
Post a Comment