
Letter writing seems to be a lost art. As I grew up, moving around to different Marine bases, I would always see my father sit at the kitchen table each week with the black (manual) typewriter, typing a letter to his mother. I started writing letters to friends when we moved from Quantico, VA to Camp Pendleton, CA when I was seven years old. Ever since then, I have written letters to family and friends. Letter writing is what kept friend NKE and me close when I moved from Japan (when I was 13 years old) and in the ensuing years.
The advent of email greatly decreased my letter-writing. Plus, now my letters are reduced in size to cards. There used to be "stationery" stores, but no longer. Most places that sell writing supplies only have cards for sale.

It is a little sad to see the demise of letters, especially when I think of the old standard--though I must admit that Lewis Carroll must have been at the extreme! Handwritten letters carry the memory of the person who wrote them. I can see someone's handwriting and immediately recognize that loved one! That won't happen with computer generated mail.
When I went through my parents' house after their deaths, I found a notebook full of letters my mother had written her parents when she was in the Marine Corps during WWII. Her mother (my Nana) carefully kept them in this notebook. Such organization benefits me, as a future progeny, and is something I should consider--the cards and letters I've saved are in two drawers, scattered and intermixed.
That's a future project--to organize letters according to their authors: my children, my mother, my husband, my father, and my friends. Some are very special, especially those notes my children wrote, both when learning to write and now as adults.
5 comments:
I am a firm believer in letters, written by the hand, on paper. Or typed.
You will want to have this book.
I wrote to Queen Elizabeth after Diana died. Two pages. And got an answer. It was written by her secretary, but he told me that "I am to tell you..." that the Queen had read my letter!
You never know if you do not write.
I can't remember the last real letter I wrote.
Jan you are very special in this regard (and others). I know this as I have received handwritten, personal and beautiful cards and letters from you.
It is a gift and a most wonderful gift.
I used to be a big letter writer, it got lost somewhere in my life. The last time I wrote a letter was to someone that I am not reconciled with, it was a year ago this past November. I got such an unpleasant reply back and now I wonder if I don't connect letters to sadness for that reason and some others.
I am blessed by the notes and letters you send.
Blessed, blessed, blessed.
Point taken Jan ;-). I have letters that my grandmother wrote to my mom, the earliest dates back to 1947. These letters have become a link for my second set of first cousins by her brother when he remarried. They never knew they had grandparents or aunts and uncles. As you know, I love to write, but my time recently had been taken up with work issues, a cut in pay, friends recovering from sickness and surgeries, so when I get home I am beat, beat, beat. I will resume soon; I hear the call of the fine paper and my favorite pen.
Post a Comment