Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Five Love Languages

Going to and from Albuquerque, CB and I listened to the four cd's of Gary Chapman's The Five Love Languages. We were amazed at the insights we gained, even though they seem like "common sense." It is based upon the book of the same title. By listening to it together, we could stop the cd player in the car and talk or ponder silently together. The five love languages are:
  1. Language of affirmation
  2. Language of quality time
  3. Language of receiving gifts
  4. Language of acts of service
  5. Language of physical touch
I wish I'd known more about these when I was a parenting young and adolescent children, too.

I am still planning to post about Richard Rohr's enneagram conference, but that will come later.

3 comments:

Jaliya said...

Jan -- I'd love to hear about the enneagram conference! I read one of Richard Rohr's books about the Enneagram ... It's one of the best I've seen. I've also read one of his books about contemplative prayer ... The title escapes me ... (brain-fart) ... What is Richard like to be with?

What's your Enneagram type? Mine seems to be a Six, with lots of Nine and some Five in there ...

Annie's Mom said...

This book looks very intriguing! Thanks for posting about it!

Yolanda said...

I may have to try these out. Thanks for always making me think Jan.