Since hearing Russ Hudson and Richard Rohr speak about the Enneagram and Non-Dualistic Thinking, I have been talking and writing about the Enneagram and reading, too. Today I read this in Richard Rohr's book:"Meditation and prayer play a central role in this (exercises that help us grow closer to God and ourselves) , because the Enneagram cannot be mastered on a purely intellectual level, not even by a Five. It is an experiential method in which through a mind of 'inner listening' I find out what 'voices' are at work within me. The 'discernment of spirits' is that instinctive spiritual authority that helps me to realize which of these voices will free me for an 'abundant life' (John 10:10) and which will lead me to jail and to death."
Rohr, Richard. The Enneagram: A Christian Perspective. New York: Crossroad Publishing Company, 2008. 231.
Today I ordered more books online about the Enneagram, some connected to spiritual direction, which I am keenly interested in.
Here are some links to good sites about the Enneagram:
The Enneagram Institute--founded and managed by Russ Hudson and Don Riso
This contains links to descriptions for the various types, Enneagram tests, and other sources.
9 Types.Com
This has links to various components of the personality types and other sites.
Enneagram Worldwide--founded by Helen Palmer
She also has this site:
Enneagram.Com
There's a funny dinner cartoon by Elizabeth Wagele, which I am unable to put on my blog, but will write down the dialogue below as it indicates the personality of the nine different types of the Enneagram. The cartoon is from her book entitled The Enneagram Made Easy.
And she has a link to "famous personality types" that is fun to look at.
Around a bountiful dinner table are seated nine people:
One: "Not enough food groups represented here."
Two: "It's so great to feel needed!"
Three: I need to eat and run. I'm swamped."
Four: "Cheap caviar--shocking!"
Five: "It's a talkative group. Good--that gets ME off the hook!"
Six: "She's leaving early. Doesn't she like us?"
Seven: "First I'll eat, then take some pictures, then go to my class, then. . ."
Eight: "Pass it down. Pass it ALL DOWN HERE!"
Nine: "I feel so CLOSE to everybody!"
Which type are you? These cartoon figures show me aspects of the personalities I can picture immediately.
7 comments:
I'm glad you're enjoying all this. I always score equally highly in two or sometimes even three of the types, and I can never nail myself down to just one.
I don't know if Ruth will be back to see this comment, but I learned about the enneagram in 1991 and from Richard Rohr himself. At that time anyway, he was not one to promote how one tested... It is more a journey to know who you are. I would tend to agree.
It is my experience that if your "type" makes you uncomfortable you have found it.
All in all this has been a great and helpful tool in my spiritual and other pursuits, so I am grateful for Rohr's work on the topic.
I'm not terribly familiar with the Enneagram....but I know enough to be intrigued...glad you are learning more...
I am very interested to learn more Jan, and I thank you for the links!
count me among the twos!
Oh, that cartoon dialogue is funny!
(And I am SO definitely a four! But then I've known that from the get-go.)
i'm an 8 - so pass all that food down here NOW!
Post a Comment