Friday, December 19, 2008

Nativities

I collect nativity scenes. My family, especially daughter AE, has given me many lovely ethnic creches. Here are some of them:

This is the first nativity scene I ever had. My cousin Margaret, whom I visited this past fall in Calgary, Canada, gave it to me when she had traveled in France as a young woman.
Maybe this was my first introduction to Mary holding baby Jesus, which I love.








15 comments:

Juliann in WA said...

beautiful collection - I love the variety

Unknown said...

Love the one with Mary lying down!

Ellie Finlay said...

Oh, they're wonderful!

And I agree with Songbird. It's wonderful to see Mary lying down like that. You know in reality she did!

Fran said...

Wow! I love these.

I have a collection too, but for good or ill, most of mine are from Central and South America and have a similar look!

Thanks for sharing this!

Fran said...

And yes- I love lying down Mary too. I once saw one - in Mexico I think, that had that and did not buy it.

Thus proving once more the notion that we regret what we don't buy more than what we do buy.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

These are very lovely. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Terri said...

Have I mentioned that when I unpacked my creche this year (and I too have many, but alas could only find one)...the one I found as I unpacked it ended up missing two pieces...

Mary and Jesus....

sigh...

what do you call a creche that is missing Mary and Jesus?

love yours....all very cool!

Barbara B. said...

Those are great!

Jan said...

MP, one that is not pictured has no Joseph. We joke that Mary is a single mom! Sorry about your missing ones.

Jaliya said...

These are beautiful, Jan!

I notice in one pic there are books ... and one by Madeleine L'Engle! I *love* her book *A Circle of Quiet*. I've had my copy since 1983 and it's a much-thumbed-over wreck! :-D

dust bunny said...

Great collection!
I have a beautiful nativity scene given to me by a wonderful older couple....unfortunately, we have two new kittens and they haven't been shy about exploring every flat (and not so flat) surface in our house.....nativity scene will have to wait until next year. ("house broken" has an alternate meaning around here)

Rev SS said...

All so unique! I love them all. Thanks for sharing.

Lindy said...

What great pictures. I like the one where they are snuggling best.

Jennifer said...

Love 'em.

Jennifer said...

Love 'em.