Friday, December 12, 2008

Advent Longing

In the darkness of the season, in the silence of Mary’s womb,

new life waits and grows.

Hope is shaped in hidden places,

on the edges, in the depths

far from the blinding lights and deafening sounds of consumer frenzy.


In the darkness and silence of my own life,

I wait,

listening for the whisper of angel wings,

longing for a genuine experience of mystery,

hoping for a rekindling of joy and the establishment of peace.


I lean into the darkness

and silence.

Expectant.


~~Larry J. Peacockby Jan van Eyck
1439

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hope is shaped in hidden places.
This speaks to me.
Thanks, Jan!

Becca said...

Hello,

I appreciate that you have used and cited Larry Peacock, with a poem I much admire. I ask, though, that you cite the source as well. It makes a huge difference to publishers, who are facing all sorts of penalties due to new technology (much like the music business). And if you can share the request with everyone else whom you see overlooking that extra step, it would be a great service!

Sherry said...

Thank you so much for sharing this Jan. It is just lovely!

Jan said...

Becca, I would cite the source if I had it. I usually do. However, a teacher handed this out in a class with no citation. If you know the source, please let me know.

Terri said...

really wonderful poem...

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

That's a lovely poem, full of expectancy.