Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Look Out!

John Dear has written an excellent article about Advent, Advent: Time to be on the look out.

He writes:

"The Gospel would shake us from our weariness. 'Don't sleep while Mumbai burns. Don't yield to the culture's allures: shopping, selfishness, indifference, violence and war. Don't act as if there is no God, as if change is impossible, as if there's nothing you can do. Don't sleep as apocalypse encroaches. Don't remain unaware of the world's agony. Wake up! Look around! See what's happening. Get ready for peace!'"

And then goes on with this:

"And so this Advent let's become visionaries. Let's reclaim our imaginations and say "Yes, we can. Yes, a new world is possible; indeed, a new world is coming" --- a new world without war, poverty, nuclear weapons, violence or global warming. Get ready for it. Urge others to prepare. Such preparation is the spiritual task at hand.

"A final blessing. May these holy Advent days renew our lives, lead us to peace, fill us with grace and hope, disarm our hearts, turn us back toward the God of peace, and make us faithful watchers, ready for Jesus and his Christmas gift of peace.

"Together, we sing: 'O come o come, Emanuel! Come, Lord Jesus.'"

Go here to read the entire article

7 comments:

Kate Morningstar said...

I'm off work tomorrow and I'll look forward to hearing from you, but no pressure.

Lauralew said...

Great article, Jan. I'm thinking also that to those who counter, "But the poor (or war, or whatever) will be with us always," I would say, "Does that mean we should not try?" Advent is a time of preparation, not only for the Christ birth, but for the Kingdom on earth.

Jennifer said...

Brilliant.
I learned of John Dear from you, last Advent.
Thank you again!

Jennifer said...

Brilliant.
I learned of John Dear from you, last Advent.
Thank you again!

Terri said...

So much to think about, pray about, and hope to somehow make an impact...

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

A lot to think to about.

Billie Greenwood said...

Thanks for referring me to that article. John Dear is really a light for me. The article made Advent so relevant to current events.